Point wand at victim
Causes the victim to vomit slugs
- "...A loud bang echoed around the stadium and a jet of green light shot out of the wrong end of Ron's wand, hitting him in the stomach and sending him reeling backwards on to the grass... Ron opened his mouth to speak, but no words came out. Instead he gave an almightly belch and several slugs dribbled out of his mouth on to his lap."
- —Ron curses himself.[src]
The Slug-Vomiting Charm (Slugulus Eructo) is a charm that causes the victim to burp up slugs and slime for approximately ten minutes; they may also take on a sallow complexion as a side-effect. It is described as a green jet of light.
In 1992, Ron Weasley attempted to curse Draco Malfoy with this charm after Malfoy referred to Hermione Granger as a "filthy little Mudblood". However, because his wand was broken, the spell backfired, causing Ron to curse himself. Ron was then taken inside to Rubeus Hagrid's Hut where he threw up slugs every so often into the basin given to him by Hagrid.
Behind the scenes
- In the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Ron shouts "Eat slugs!" but does not say the incantation whilst casting and so must have been casting it nonverbally (and hence must have practiced it a lot in the past).
- In LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4, the incantation, Slugulus Eructo, is revealed. When shopping in Diagon Alley, if one enters Wiseacre's Wizarding Equipment, they can buy this spell. It is erroneously grouped in the transfiguration category. On use, the victim will belch slugs for some time.
- Rupert Grint stated that vomiting slugs was the most challenging scene to film in that movie: "I think coughing up slugs was quite hard. Ron has a scene where he has to cough up these giant slugs. I had this giant slug in my mouth loaded with slime and I spat them out. I think it was plastic. I hope it was plastic."
- Despite the challenge, Rupert apparently enjoyed filming the scene: "It was so fun because they had all these different flavours of slug slime. There was chocolate, there was lemon, there was orange, there was peppermint. All these different flavours - they made them taste really nice."
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 (First identified as Slugus Eructo)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- ↑ LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- ↑ In Order of the Phoenix, the spell is referred to by this name in the narration: "Harry was reminded forcibly of the time that Ron had accidentally put a Slug-Vomiting Charm on himself".
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- ↑ Scholastic Interview with Rupert Grint
- ↑ Mugglenet Profile on Rupert Grint