1994 or earlier
The Durmstrang Ship was a magical ship used by the Durmstrang Institute to reach Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry for the 1994 Triwizard Tournament. The ship can travel underwater, though, in practise, the students steered while Headmaster Igor Karkaroff stayed in his cabin, and probably capable of invoking a magical means of travelling from one large body of water to another.
Design and appearance
The ship had a strange, skeletal look and appeared to be similar to a 16th century Spanish galleon, possessing a quarterdeck and forecastle. It was square-rigged and had two masts.
During their stay at Hogwarts, the ship was anchored in the Black Lake in front of Hogwarts Castle. The Durmstrang students and Karkaroff slept in the ship at night. At the end of the Tournament, the Durmstrang students boarded their ship and sailed back to Durmstrang. In 1994, Viktor Krum was seen diving off the ship and into the lake by Harry Potter, Hermione Granger and Ronald Weasley.
Behind the scenes
- A LEGO model of the ship was produced for the LEGO Harry Potter sets.
- In LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4, if all Gold Bricks are collected in Year 4 then one can build the ship for that year in the Leaky Cauldron's Basement.
- The Durmstrang ship seen in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film) was a scale model, built to rock back and forth like a real ship, pumping water as it rises to the lake's surface.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (video game) (Seen on Game Cover)
- Harry Potter: A Pop-Up Book
- LEGO Harry Potter: Building the Magical World
- LEGO Harry Potter: Characters of the Magical World (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- Harry Potter LEGO Sets