- "Slowly, magnificently, the ship rose out of the water, gleaming in the moonlight. It had a strangely skeletal look about it, as though it were a resurrected wreck, and the dim, misty lights shimmering at its portholes looked like ghostly eyes. Finally, with a great sloshing noise, the ship emerged entirely, bobbing on the turbulent water, and began to glide toward the bank."
- —The Durmstrang ship arrives at Hogwarts[src]
Design and appearance
The ship was described as having a strange, skeletal look and appeared to be similar to a 16th century Spanish galleon, possessing a quarterdeck and forecastle. It was square-rigged and had two masts. In the film adaptation, it appears more like a carrack, one of the sails has a large depiction of an eagle, a dragon-like figurehead and all masts fly long red-yellow pennants.
The Durmstrang delegation arrived with their candidates on board of the ship. Karkaroff tyrannically stayed in his cabin while having the students steer the ship. During their stay at Hogwarts, the ship was anchored in the Black Lake in front of Hogwarts Castle. The Durmstrang students and Karkaroff slept in the ship at night. At the end of the Tournament, the Durmstrang students boarded their ship and sailed back to Durmstrang. In 1994, Viktor Krum was seen diving off the ship and into the lake by Harry Potter, Hermione Granger and Ronald Weasley.
Behind the scenes
- A LEGO model of the ship was produced for the LEGO Harry Potter sets.
- In LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4, if all Gold Bricks are collected in Year 4 then one can build the ship for that year in the Leaky Cauldron's Basement.
- The Durmstrang ship seen in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film) was a scale model, built to rock back and forth like a real ship, pumping water as it rises to the lake's surface.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (video game) (Seen on Game Cover)
- Harry Potter: A Pop-Up Book
- LEGO Harry Potter: Building the Magical World
- LEGO Harry Potter: Characters of the Magical World (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- LEGO Harry Potter
- Harry Potter: The Character Vault (mentioned only)