As Minister for Magic
McPhail was appointed Minister for Magic at some point after leaving Hogwarts. During his term in the post, McPhail came up with the idea of mimicking the then-new Muggle bus service to provide underage and infirm witches and wizards with a discreet method of transportation, leading to the introduction of the Knight Bus in 1865. His overall tenure in office was viewed as "successful" by Gabriel Truman.
On 1 September, 1991, Prefect Gabriel Truman welcomed the Hufflepuff first years to Hufflepuff Basement with a short speech in which he mentioned former Minister Dugald McPhail as one of the many notable Hogwarts students who were Sorted, like them, into Hufflepuff.
Behind the scenes
- D(o)ugald McPhail (1840—1941) was, in actuality, a man born in Iverary, Argyll, Scotland, who immigrated to KwaZulu-Natal and was one of the original founders of the town of Dundee in KwaZulu-Natal. McPhail served as a Quartermaster for the Buffalo Border Guard during the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879. He later fought for the British in the Second Boer War (1899-1902). He died at the age of 101, in 1941.
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Pottermore
- ↑ In order to have been appointed Minister for Magic by 1865, McPhail would have had to be out of Hogwarts and thus at least 17 at that point in time, placing his earliest birth year in 1847 — although is unlikely someone that young would become Minister for Magic.
- ↑ "Dougald McPhail" on Wikipedia