Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Dugald McPhail was born on an unknown date, no later than 1841, to at least one magical parent. His surname, coupled with the fact that he spoke in a heavy Scottish brogue, implies he was from Scotland, or had Scottish ancestry.
As Minister for Magic
During his time as Minister, McPhail came up with the idea of mimicking the then-new Muggle bus service to provide underage and infirm witches and wizards with a discreet method of transportation, leading to the introduction of the Knight Bus in 1865.
On 1 September, 1991, Prefect Gabriel Truman welcomed the Hufflepuff first years to Hufflepuff Basement with a short speech in which he mentioned former Minister Dugald McPhail as one of the many notable Hogwarts students who were Sorted, like them, into Hufflepuff.
Behind the scenes
- This character shares his name with the historical figure D(o)ugald McPhail (1840—1941). Born in Iverary, Argyll, Scotland, the real-life McPhail immigrated to KwaZulu-Natal and was one of the original founders of the town of Dundee in KwaZulu-Natal. McPhail served as a Quartermaster for the Buffalo Border Guard during the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879. He later fought for the British in the Second Boer War (1899-1902). He died at the age of 101, in 1941.
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- ↑ According to Pottermore, Nobby Leach (Minister for Magic between 1962 and 1968) was the first Muggle-born wizard ever to be appointed to the office)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 Pottermore
- ↑ In order to have been appointed Minister for Magic in 1858, McPhail would have had to be out of Hogwarts and thus at least 17 at that point, placing his earliest birth year in 1841 — although it is unlikely someone that young would become Minister for Magic.
- ↑ "Dougald McPhail" on Wikipedia