|Druella Black (née Rosier)|
Slytherin (most likely)
Druella Black (née Rosier) (fl. 1951-1955) was a pure-blood witch who married Cygnus Black III. The couple had three daughters: Bellatrix, Andromeda, and Narcissa Black. Through Bellatrix, she is the mother-in-law of Rodolphus Lestrange. Through Andromeda, who was disowned for marrying Muggle-born wizard Ted Tonks, Druella is the grandmother of Nymphadora Tonks and great-grandmother of Teddy Lupin. Through Narcissa, she is the mother-in-law of Lucius Malfoy, the grandmother of Draco Malfoy and great-grandmother of Scorpius Malfoy.
Behind the scenes
- Based on a statement by Horace Slughorn, Druella may have been a member of the Slytherin House, like her husband Cygnus. However, he may have not meant Druella, as she was a Rosier at the time.
- In the Black family, the name Ella also appears before Druella married Cygnus. There were Ella Max and her daughter Elladora.
- One of Druella's daughters, Bellatrix, has thick eyelids (she is described by Harry Potter as having heavily-lidded eyes). It is likely that this feature of her appearance was inherited from her mother as no mention is ever made of this characteristic in any members of the Black family.
- Sirius Black's statement that "I'm the last Black left" may indicate that Druella is dead, as her married name is Black. However, more likely Sirius only meant Blacks by birth, who would be eligible to inherit 12 Grimmauld Place. Neither the books nor the Black family tree give any indication of her death, and since her daughters are only in their mid-40s at the end of Deathly Hallows, she may well still be alive.
- Druella broke the Black family tradition of naming members of their family after stars when she and her husband, Cygnus, named their youngest daughter Narcissa, deriving from the flower of the same name, the daffodil. This made Narcissa the first child born into the Black family that wasn't named for a star or constellation since Phineas Nigellus Black at least.
Druella may be a combination of the names Drusilla, often shorted to Dru and meaning "dewy-eyed" or "fruitful", and Ella, a Norman name derived from the Germanic word ali, meaning "other". Drusilla was the name of infamous Roman Emperor Caligula's favourite sister, as well as the daughter named after her.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) (Appears on Black family tree tapestry)
Notes and references
- ↑ Druella´s youngest daughter was born in that year.
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 2.12 2.13 2.14 2.15 2.16 2.17 2.18 2.19 2.20 Black family tree
- ↑ The traits of the Black Family are dark hair and pale skin. Narcissa, while part of the Black Family, has blonde hair, implying it to be a trait inherited from her mother.
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- ↑ Behind the Name: Ella