A drill is a Muggle tool fitted with a cutting or driving attachment, usually a drill bit or driver bit, used for drilling holes in various materials or fastening various materials together with the use of fasteners. Vernon Dursley was the director of Grunnings, a drill-making firm since at least sometime before or on 30 or 31 October 1981.
In the morning of 30 or 31 October 1981, Vernon hoped to get "a large order of drills" while driving towards town.
On 31 July 1992, Vernon Dursley hoped to get Mr. Mason to purchase a large order of drills, but his plans ended in failure after Dobby's use of a Hover Charm resulted in an owl being sent to the Dursley household, Mason's wife being mortally afraid of birds.
"Drill" comes from the Dutch "dril" or "drille", meaning "a hole, instrument for boring holes", and "drillen", meaning "to bore (a hole), turn around, whirl".
Behind the scenes
- In the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Vernon Dursley uses a cordless drill to attach the board over 4 Privet Drive's letter slot rather than the hammer he uses in the novel.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film) (First appearance) (Non-canonical appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4