The dragonfly is a type of insect, notable for its large wings and long body. Known species of dragonfly include the Imperial Dragonfly, which is stronger than the common variety. Dragonflies are particularly susceptible to the Knockback Jinx, the Fire-Making Spell, the Full Body-Bind Curse, the Softening Charm, and Glacius. Like most winged creatures, they can resist the Levitation Charm.
Behind the scenes
- The use of dragonflies as an enemy type in the video game adaptation of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban may be a nod to the fact that the creature is associated with the devil, snakes, and other evil creatures in many European cultures.
- As Professor Trelawney arrived at the Hogwarts Christmas Feast in 1993, it was described that her green sequined dress made her "look more than ever like a glittering, oversized dragonfly."
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (First appearance)
- Pottermore (Appears as a Patronus)