|Ministry of Magic Classification||
Physiology & Life cycle
The Doxy is covered in coarse black hair, and has an additional set of arms and legs. Doxys have shiny beetle-like wings, and a double row of sharp venomous teeth. If bitten, a wizard or witch should take an antidote immediately. Doxys bury their eggs underground, and can lay up to five hundred at once. The eggs generally hatch in two to three weeks.
Interaction with humans
Doxys are considered pests. They can infest houses, taking up residence in the draperies. Removing them requires a good supply of Doxycide. Cormac McLaggen was also known for eating a pound of Doxy eggs for a bet, making him unable to try out for the Gryffindor Quidditch Team in his 6th year.
Fred and George Weasley used Doxy venom for their Skiving Snackboxes, sold at Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes. Harold Dingle used Doxy droppings to pretend it was powdered Dragon claw to sell to fifth years, but was confiscated by Hermione Granger.
Doxy is an archaic English term, meaning "prostitute".
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (seen in Folio Bruti)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (video game)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game