The Doxy, sometimes referred to as the Biting Fairy, is a small Fairy-like creature, sometimes mistaken for a Fairy.
Physiology & Life cycle
The Doxy is covered in coarse black hair, and has an additional set of arms and legs. Doxys have shiny beetle-like wings, and a double row of sharp venomous teeth. If bitten, a wizard or witch should take an antidote immediately. Doxys bury their eggs underground, and Doxy Queens can lay up to five-hundred at once. The eggs generally hatch in two to three weeks.
Interaction with humans
Doxys are considered pests. They can infest houses, taking up residence in the draperies. Removing them requires a good supply of Doxycide. Alternatively, they can be dispatched with a simple Knockback Jinx, as doxies are particularly vulnerable to it, excluding the queens, with are more resistant.
Fred and George Weasley used Doxy venom for their Skiving Snackboxes, sold at Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes. Harold Dingle used Doxy droppings to pretend it was powdered Dragon claw to sell to fifth years, but was confiscated by Hermione Granger.
Doxy is an archaic English term, meaning "prostitute". It derives from the German word Docke, meaning "doll".
Behind the scenes
- In the GBC video game adaptation of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, the Folio Bruti entry for these creatures is titled "Doxy Drone". This might mean that, like the male honey bees, doxies may have a biological haplodiploid sex-determination system or simply that male doxies have distinct behavioural patterns.
- Despite being described as being covered in coarse black hair in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, their depictions in the video games normally include little or no hair and a dark blue or purple colour.
- In some of the video games, most of the time a Venomous Tentacula is another way to effectively get rid of a doxy, for doxies are its favorite food.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (video game) (PC Version)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (GBC version only)