Dougal McGregor was a Muggle, son of a farmer. He was handsome and intelligent. He and Minerva McGonagall were briefly engaged in the summer of 1954; he asked her to marry him and at first she accepted, but she later decided not to do it as she had not told him she was a witch and she thought it would mean the end of her career at the Ministry of Magic. He sent her several letters trying to win her back, but with no success. He would later marry a Muggle woman who was the daughter of another local farmer.
Dougal McGregor was murdered in a random anti-Muggle attack by the Death Eaters during the height of the First Wizarding War in the 1970s, along with his wife and children. News of these events were a terrible blow to Minerva, who wondered if she could have been able to save him if she had married him.
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)
- Short Stories from Hogwarts of Heroism, Hardship and Dangerous Hobbies (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- ↑ Since Dougal McGregor proposed to Minerva McGonagall in 1954, it can be presumed that he had already reached the legal marriageable age by then. Legal marriageable age in Scotland was, in 1954 (and, indeed, still is), 16 years old, in accordance with the Age of Marriage Act 1929.
- ↑ Pottermore - Writing by J.K. Rowling: "Professor McGonagall" (transcription available here)
- ↑ Pottermore Presents - Short Stories from Hogwarts of Heroism, Hardship and Dangerous Hobbies, Chapter 1 (Minerva McGonagall)