|Dolores Umbridge's wand|
Less than 9"
This wand was destroyed during the Skirmish in the Forbidden Forest when it was snapped cleanly in half by a centaur's hoof in 1996, when Umbridge was carried off by a herd she offended. Before its destruction, Umbridge used the wand to cast a Shield Charm when a centaur fired an arrow at her and Incarcerous to strangle Magorian during the skirmish. Harry tried to retrieve it right after she dropped it, but it was snapped before he could reach it.
Presumably, Umbridge acquired a new wand later, and it was with this wand that she conjured her cat Patronus to ward of the Dementors from her as she prosecuted Muggle-borns as Head of the Muggle-Born Registration Commission. However, this wand was probably taken away when she was sent to Azkaban.
Behind the scenes
- In the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Umbridge's wand is a crimson colour with a pink gem placed in the centre. It, too, is shorter than the other wands shown.
- Due to the great possibility of the wand snapping around the pink gem, Imelda Staunton had to use precise flourishes to avoid breaking her prop.
- This prop was used when the Hogwartians raised their wands in mourning for Albus Dumbledore who had just died.
- A new wand was made that connects the gem to the wand itself, so the wand would not break near the gem.
- According to Pottermore, short wands tend to belong to people who are "lacking" in personality, as there are many short witches and wizards with average sized wands.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
Notes and references
- ↑ On Pottermore Ollivander classes 9" as average, with any wand under as being abnormally short.