This wand was destroyed during the Skirmish in the Forbidden Forest when it was snapped cleanly in half by a centaur's hoof in 1996, when Umbridge was carried off by a herd she offended. Before its destruction, Umbridge used the wand to cast a Shield Charm when a centaur fired an arrow at her and Incarcerous to strangle Magorian during the skirmish.
Presumably, Umbridge acquired a new wand later, and it was with this wand that she conjured her cat Patronus to ward of the Dementors from her as she prosecuted Muggle-borns as Head of the Muggle-Born Registration Commission. However, this wand was probably taken away when she was sent to Azkaban.
Behind the scenes
- In the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Umbridge's wand is a crimson colour with a pink gem placed in the centre. It, too, is shorter than the other wands shown.
- Due to the great possibility of the wand snapping around the pink gem, Imelda Staunton had to use precise flourishes to avoid breaking her prop.
- This prop was used when the Hogwartians raised their wands in mourning for Albus Dumbledore who had just died.
- A new wand was made that connects the gem to the wand itself, so the wand would not break near the gem.
- According to Pottermore, short wands tend to belong to people who are "lacking" in personality, as there are many short witches and wizards with average sized wands.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
Notes and references
- ↑ On Pottermore Ollivander classes 9" as average, with any wand under as being abnormally short.