Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Dolores Umbridge's wand was 8" long, made of birchwood with a dragon heartstring core. The wand length is considered "unusually short" by wandmaker Garrick Ollivander, indicating something is lacking in the owner's personality.
Harry tried to retrieve it right after she dropped it, but it was snapped before he could reach it.
Umbridge acquired a new wand later, and it was with this wand that she conjured her cat Patronus to ward off the Dementors, as she prosecuted Muggle-borns, when she was the Head of the Muggle-Born Registration Commission.
However, this wand was likely taken away when she was sent to Azkaban.
Behind the scenes
- In the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Umbridge's wand is a crimson colour with a pink gem placed in the centre. It, too, is shorter than the other wands shown.
- Due to the great possibility of the wand snapping around the pink gem, Imelda Staunton had to use precise flourishes to avoid breaking her prop.
- A new wand was made that connects the gem to the wand itself, so the wand would not break near the gem.
- According to Pottermore, abnormally short wands (8 inches and under) tend to belong to people who are "lacking" in personality, as there are many short witches and wizards with average sized wands.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter: The Character Vault