- "It looked like an unused classroom. The dark shapes of desks and chairs were piled against the walls, and there was an upturned wastepaper basket – but propped against the wall facing him was something that didn’t look as if it belonged there, something that looked as if someone had just put it there to keep it out of the way."
This disused classroom, located on the fourth floor of Hogwarts Castle, is where the Mirror of Erised was kept from September to December, 1991, and where Harry Potter saw the image of himself and his deceased relatives including his parents, James and Lily. After this it was moved under the orders of Albus Dumbledore, in the hope that Harry would not go in search of it again.
Behind the scenes
- For the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, scenes in this room were filmed in the Chapter House at Lacock Abbey (in Lacock, Wiltshire, England). Perhaps because of the location of the Chapter House in Lacock Abbey, in the film this classroom is located around the Middle Courtyard, on the ground floor.
- In the PS1 version of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone this room is located on the Third Floor Corridor, quite close to the room in which Fluffy is guarding the trapdoor to the Underground Chambers. The room is also labeled "Storeroom", giving the impression that it was used primarily as a storage facility instead of as a classroom, probably because it was abandoned. The storage of the Mirror in the room further confirms this.
- This room changed floor between the different versions in the series. It is on the fourth floor in the book (most canon source), the ground floor near the Middle Courtyard in the film and on the Third Floor Corridor in the PS1 version first game. While fourth floor is most canon (due to the book) one can presume that this is because of the ever-changing abilities of the Hogwarts Castle, with the room usually being on the fourth floor.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) (Appears in flashback(s))
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film) (Flashback on Disc 2)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
Notes and references