- "Harry looked down at his body, or rather, what had been his body, for it didn't look anything like his anymore. It was not invisible; it had simply taken on the exact colour and texture of the kitchen unit behind him. He seemed to have become a human chameleon."
The Disillusionment Charm (incantation unknown) is a spell that is used to conceal the target. The charm makes that which has been bewitched to act as a chameleon, taking the colour and texture of that which is behind and around them.
It is presumed that there are two methods of casting. It seems that if one is using the charm on themselves, they must twirl their wand around themselves as though they were wrapping themselves in rope. If, however, they are using it on an external target, they must merely tap on the target with their wand. This then produces a sensation that a raw egg has been cracked onto the person's head as the charm travels down them, granting them invisibility.
- Alastor Moody
- Draco Malfoy
- Gregory Goyle
- Tom Riddle
- Vincent Crabbe
- Albus Dumbledore
- Aurors (possibly)
Behind the scenes
- There are numerous portrayals of things being invisible, or else of people appearing noiselessly in the air; both of these may be various instances of this spell being cast.
- While Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix claims that this does not induce invisibility, Wonderbook: Book of Spells later states that it does, in fact, cause complete invisibility. Maybe the spell has been upgraded since or the one in the book stating the fact had been wrong. It may also depend on the skill of the witch or wizard who performs the charm, with less-skilled users producing imperfect camouflage.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- The Tales of Beedle the Bard (Mentioned only)
- Wonderbook: Book of Spells
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Wonderbook: Book of Spells (See this video)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - Chapter 3 (The Advance Guard)
- ↑ Pottermore
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Chapter 31 (The Battle of Hogwarts)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Chapter 27 (Gringotts)
- ↑ Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (real)