Point wand at target
Diminuendo is a charm that forces objects to shrink.
- In music, Diminuendo is a word indicating changes of dynamics; means "getting gradually softer".
- In modern language Diminish means "to shrink" or to "become nonexistant"
Behind the Scenes
- The effects of this spell bear great similarity to the Shrinking Charm, Reducio, and the two spells may be variations of each other.
- A possible difference between the effects of the spells may be that Diminuendo shrinks objects to be smaller than their original size, while Reducio acts as a counter-charm for Engorgio, shrinking objects back to their original size after being enlarged by the Engorgement Charm. Reducio has always been coupled with Engorgio in the books (for cases where it is clear that Reducio is used and not other shrinking charms).
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) (First appearance)