Professor Dilys Derwent (d. 1768) was a witch who worked as a Healer at St. Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries (1722-1741), and was a celebrated Headmistress of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry (1741-1768). Her portrait hangs not only in the Headmaster's Office along with the portraits of previous headmasters and headmistresses, but also in St. Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries' main admitting area.
As a Healer and Headmistress
Derwent started working at St. Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries in 1722.
Derwent left the job in 1741 and became the Headmistress of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry that same year. She proved very popular among students and teachers, gaining her the status of one of the "most celebrated Heads" among Dumbledore and Everard. She died in the post in 1768.
Attack on Arthur Weasley
When Arthur Weasley was attacked by Voldemort's snake Nagini in the Department of Mysteries in late 1995, Albus Dumbledore, then-Headmaster, asked Derwent to go to her portrait at St. Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries's main admitting area in order to keep Dumbledore apprised on Mr. Weasley's condition.
- "All around the walls, the headmasters and headmistresses of Hogwarts were giving him a standing ovation..."
When Harry Potter went to the Headmaster's office, shortly after Lord Voldemort's defeat and the end of the Second Wizarding War, Dilys Derwent joined the ovation made by the previous Hogwarts Headmasters, sobbing unashamedly.
The name "Dilys" means "genuine" in Welsh. Derwent may be from the name of an English lake in Cumbria, in the Lake District called "Derwent Water".
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Appears in portrait(s))
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Appears in portrait(s))
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - Chapter 22 (St. Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 "Scholastic Open Book Tour NYC", 19 October 2007
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Chapter 36 (The Flaw in the Plan)