Cuts the target
- "With the Severing Charm, cutting or tearing objects is a simple matter of wand control. The spell can be quite precise in skilled hands, and the Severing Charm is widely used in a variety of wizarding trades. Useful as it is, this charm should be practiced with caution, as a careless swipe of the wand can cause injury."
- —Miranda Goshawk[src]
This spell was invented in the fifteenth century by wizarding seamstress Delfina Crimp. She made the spell because prior to her discovery, cutting spells were apt to burn or shred things. However, a fellow seamster nearly killed her after he raided her shop, having realised that she could do magic, and held her tied up. Nonetheless, upon being released to scratch a wart on her chin the wart brought her wand forth and she disapparated with a sack of gold.
SPSdiffindo found in SpellShapes.utx of the Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban PC game's texture files.
|Delfina Crimp||1400s||The charm was invented in this time by Delfina Crimp and used by her to make and tailor clothing.|
|Harry Potter||November 1994||He cut Cedric Diggory's bookbag with this spell to delay him from class so that he could warn Cedric privately about the First Task.|
|18 June, 1996||Harry used this to attempt to defend Ron against some brains that were attacking him.|
|1996||Later that year, he used the charm to detach the front cover of his shop-bought potions textbook to replace it with a vandalised version using the mending spell.|
|2 September, 1997||Harry tried to break Mary Cattermole free of a chained chair; it failed.|
|3 September, 1997||Harry also used this to attempt to destroy a locket in the woods, but failed.|
|January 1998||Harry used this a fourth time to break the ice from the frozen pool where a sword was hidden.|
|Ron Weasley||25 December, 1994||He used it to sever the lace sleeves of his dress robes before the Yule Ball.|
|Hermione Granger||1 August, 1997||Hermione used this to remove the bindings on Ron Weasley after a fight in a cafe; she trembled so much that she cut Ron with it.|
|24 December, 1997||She used the spell again to remove a locket from Harry Potter's chest shortly after they were attacked by the dark lord.|
Behind the scenes
- In the Harry Potter Trading Card Game, Diffindo is incorrectly labeled as a Transfiguration spell.
- In LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 it cuts through red LEGO walls so that the player can use the pieces to make new things.
- A spellbook for this charm can be found in one of the Herbology greenhouses; this is also detailed in both Book of Spells and The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 1.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game
- Wonderbook: Book of Spells
Notes and references
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (PC, Mac),Wonderbook: Book of Spells
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (PlayStation 2, Xbox, GameCube)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Wonderbook: Book of Spells
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (film)
|Grade 1 · Grade 2 · Grade 3 · Grade 4 · Grade 5 · Grade 6|
|Charms included in the series: Fire-Making Spell · Levitation Charm · Locking Spell · Mending Charm · Softening Charm · Severing Charm · Unlocking Charm · Dancing Feet Spell · Disarming Charm · Engorgement Charm · Freezing Charm · General Counter-Spell · Memory Charm · Tickling Charm · Summoning Charm · Banishing Charm · Substantive Charm|