Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- Nymphadora Tonks: "One of them blocked the stairs behind them with some kind curse... Neville ran at it and got thrown up into the air - "
- Remus Lupin: "I saw Snape run straight through the cursed barrier as though it wasn't there, I tried to follow him but was thrown back just like Neville..."
- Harry Potter: "I'll bet you had to have the Dark Mark to get through that barrier..."
- — Discussion after Albus Dumbledore's demise.[src]
The cursed barrier was used by an unknown Death Eater during the fight against Order of the Phoenix around Hogwarts' Astronomy Tower. It was used to prevent the members of the Order from interfering with Draco Malfoy's attempt to assassinate Albus Dumbledore.
The curse creates a barrier around a certain area, preventing anyone from passing through it and throwing them backwards on contact. Only Death Eaters with a Dark Mark on their arm could pass through the barrier unhindered. If the area around the barrier collapses, the barrier would be dispelled.
Severus Snape, though a loyal member of the Order of the Phoenix, was able to pass through because he had been branded with the Dark Mark.
Behind the scenes
- Since the Dark Mark was invented by Lord Voldemort, it is likely that this curse, compatible with the Dark Mark, is also one of his inventions.
- This curse (or a variation) could possibly have been placed on the gates of Malfoy Manor when Voldemort was using it as a hideout because Snape and Yaxley had to raise their left hand (where the Dark Mark was branded) in a salute to pass through it, while other who touch the gates would cause it to bend violently into a human-head shape.
- This Spell is similar to the Blocked Barrier Charm
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (First described)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Possible appearance)