Some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, and, as such, spoilers will be present.
At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film). As such, spoilers will be present within the article.
A Dark Wizard or Witch is any magical person who primarily studies and/or practises the Dark Arts, otherwise known as Dark Magic. They may also possess some dark objects like Horcruxes or partake in the illegal breeding of Dark creatures. Perhaps the most notorious Dark Wizard in the world was Gellert Grindelwald, who was so feared that he caused panic and fear even in places where he was not known to be active. Lord Voldemort was also an infamous Dark Wizard, though his notoriety was for the most part restricted to Britain, although he was well-known and feared across Europe during the 90's despite only being powerful in Britain.
Some of the magic Dark wizards have been known to practise includes use of the three Unforgivable Curses, creating or brewing dark potions, putting to use/using dark objects, animating Inferi, and attracting all kinds of Dark creatures to make huge armies and command them to attack their enemies. Noted Dark wizards and witches include Herpo the Foul, Morgan le Fay, Gellert Grindelwald, and Lord Voldemort, as well as the latter's followers, known as Death Eaters.
Types of wizards
Others who might be considered Dark wizards are the owners and customers of shops such as Borgin and Burkes, and arguably students of Durmstrang Institute, as the curriculum there teaches much of the Dark Arts. Many Dark wizards and witches appear to believe in the importance of blood purity and to hate Muggles, though there is not necessarily a connection.
In Great Britain, many well-known Dark wizards and witches came out of Slytherin house at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, though this is not universal. For example, Peter Pettigrew was in Gryffindor, yet he betrayed the Order of the Phoenix and joined Voldemort; Quirinus Quirrell, a Ravenclaw also allied himself with the Dark Lord; and (albeit only in an alternate timeline) Cedric Diggory from Hufflepuff would become a Death Eater, whereas Slytherins such as Horace Slughorn, Regulus Black, Andromeda Tonks and later Severus Snape opposed the Death Eaters.
Known Dark Wizards and Witches
- Amycus Carrow
- Antonin Dolohov
- Avery (Marauder-era)
- Alecto Carrow
- Bellatrix Lestrange
- Corban Yaxley
- Draco Malfoy (later stopped practising Dark Magic)
- Emeric the Evil
- Ethelred the Ever-Ready
- Fenrir Greyback
- Gellert Grindelwald
- Gormlaith Gaunt
- Gregory Goyle
- Herpo the Foul
- Lord Voldemort
- Lucius Malfoy
- Merwyn the Malicious
- Morgan le Fay
- Narcissa Malfoy
- Owle Bullock
- Salazar Slytherin
- Severus Snape
- Vincent Crabbe
- Walburga Black
- Yardley Platt
Dark Wizards in fictional stories
- The main character of The Warlock's Hairy Heart.
- The evil sorcerer who took Altheda's wand, in The Fountain of Fair Fortune.
Possible Dark Wizards
- Most of the Black family
- The Wizard from The Wizard and the Hopping Pot (formerly)
- Antioch Peverell (possibly)
- Members of the Malfoy Family
Behind the scenes
- In the Harry Potter films, most Dark Wizards appear to Apparate differently than other wizards. Dark Wizards Disapparate by turning into a whirlwind of black smoke and flying into the air, and then spiralling back down to the desired spot. Meanwhile, other wizards can just pop and disappear, or similarly can disappear in a whirlwind of white smoke. The ability to conjure this whirlwind may reflect an advanced wizard or witch.
- In LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 and its sequel LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7, only Dark Wizards could use magic on the items that had red sparks, symbolising Dark Magic.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (video game)
- The Tales of Beedle the Bard (real) (Not Dark Wizard in that way)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Building the Magical World
- LEGO Harry Potter
- The Queen's Handbag (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- LEGO Creator: Harry Potter
- Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Motorbike Escape
- LEGO Harry Potter
- Harry Potter: The Character Vault
- Harry Potter: The Creature Vault (mentioned only)