Study and practise the Dark Arts
A Dark Wizard or Witch is any magical person who primarily studies and/or practices the Dark Arts, otherwise known as Dark Magic. They may also possess some dark objects like Horcruxes or partake in the illegal breeding of Dark creatures.
Some of the magic Dark wizards have been known to practise includes use of the three Unforgivable Curses, creating or brewing dark potions, putting to use/using dark objects, animating Inferi, and attracting all kinds of Dark creatures to make huge armies and command them to attack their enemies. Noted Dark wizards and witches include Herpo the Foul, Morgan le Fay, Gellert Grindelwald, and Lord Voldemort, as well as the latter's followers, known as Death Eaters.
Types of wizards
Others who might be considered Dark wizards are the owners and customers of shops such as Borgin and Burkes, and arguably students of Durmstrang Institute, as the curriculum there teaches much of the Dark Arts. Many Dark wizards and witches appear to believe in the importance of blood purity and to hate Muggles, though there is not necessarily a connection.
In Great Britain, many well-known Dark wizards and witches came out of Slytherin house at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, though this is not universal. For example, Peter Pettigrew was in Gryffindor, yet he betrayed the Order of the Phoenix and joined Voldemort, whereas Slytherins such as Horace Slughorn, Regulus Black, Andromeda Tonks and later Severus Snape opposed the Death Eaters.
Known Dark Wizards and Witches
- Avery Jr.
- Alecto Carrow
- Bellatrix Lestrange
- Emeric the Evil
- Draco Malfoy
- Gellert Grindelwald
- Herpo the Foul
- Lord Voldemort
- Lucius Malfoy
- Merwyn the Malicious
- Morgan le Fay
- Narcissa Malfoy
- Owle Bullock
- Walburga Black
- Yardley Platt
- Vincent Crabbe
- Gregory Goyle
- Antonin Dolohov
- Fenrir Greyback
- Amycus Carrow
- Severus Snape
- Ethelred the Ever-Ready
Dark Wizards in fictional stories
- The main character of The Warlock's Hairy Heart.
- The evil sorcerer who took Altheda's wand, in The Fountain of Fair Fortune.
Possible Dark Wizards
- Most of the Black family
- The Wizard from The Wizard and the Hopping Pot (formerly)
- Antioch Peverell (possibly)
Behind the scenes
- In the Harry Potter films, most Dark Wizards appear to Apparate differently than other wizards. Dark Wizards Disapparate by turning into a whirlwind of black smoke and flying into the air, and then spiralling back down to the desired spot. Meanwhile, other wizards can just pop and disappear, or similarly can disappear in a whirlwind of white smoke. The ability to conjure this whirlwind may reflect an advanced wizard or witch.
- The above is pure speculation, and unfounded, if going by the books. Most likely, these special-effects were put into place merely for dramatic effect, as a group of people running into the department of Mysteries, as seen in the books, is not nearly as exciting. The colour coding is likely simply for the viewer's benefit, so that we can more easily identify whether the new arrivals are good guys or bad guys (If all it took to identify a dark wizard was to see them apparate, the aurors would have a much easier job).
- An apparent way to stop Dark Wizards using offensive spells to harm people would be to deliberately stand in front of the Avada Kedavra curse, as Harry does. Apparently if one survives the ensuing near-death experience and returns to consciousness, this would protect their allies from harmful curses due to the massive Shield Charm erected. However, its unknown if this merely worked for Harry or if it would work for anyone willing to die to protect others from any Dark Wizard.
- In LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 and its sequel, only Dark Wizards could use magic on the items that had red sparks, symbolising Dark Magic.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (video game)
- The Tales of Beedle the Bard (real) (Not Dark Wizard in that way)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Building the Magical World
- LEGO Harry Potter: Characters of the Magical World
- The Queen's Handbag (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- LEGO Creator: Harry Potter
- Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Motorbike Escape
- Harry Potter LEGO Sets