Dark Arts was a class taught at several wizarding schools. Unforgivable Curses and numerous other forms of Dark magic were taught in this class. It is possible that students were used as victims as a form of punishment.
- "Durmstrang takes a far more sensible line than Hogwarts about the Dark Arts. Durmstrang students actually learn them, not just the defence rubbish we do..."
- —Draco Malfoy comparing the two schools.[src]
Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
Salazar Slytherin may have wanted to teach his students spells of which the other three founders disapproved, and it is a possibility that he had initially constructed the Chamber of Secrets as a place in which to teach the Dark Arts.
1997-1998 school year
During the 1997–1998 school year, Amycus Carrow was appointed Defence Against the Dark Arts Professor at Hogwarts, and changed the subject to just Dark Arts. The seventh years learned how to cast the Cruciatus Curse, and possibly how to conjure Fiendfyre and other Unforgivable Curses. After that year, Carrow was replaced and the subject returned to teaching defence.
Behind the scenes
- Dark Arts is the only class confirmed to be taught at more than one wizarding school, though it was only temporary at Hogwarts.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (Mentioned only)
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
|Schools: Academy of Broom Flying · Beauxbatons Academy of Magic · Brazilian wizarding school · Charm School · Durmstrang Institute · Euro-Glyph School of Extraordinary Languages · Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry · Mahoutokoro · Salem Witches' Institute · Wizarding Academy of Dramatic Arts|
|Examinations: First year exams · Second year exams · Third year exams · Fourth year exams · Ordinary Wizarding Level · Nastily Exhausting Wizarding Test|
|Core classes: Astronomy · Charms · Defence Against the Dark Arts · Herbology · History of Magic · Potions · Transfiguration|
|Elective classes: Alchemy · Arithmancy · Care of Magical Creatures · Divination · Muggle Studies · Study of Ancient Runes|
|Extra-curricular classes: Apparition · Advanced Arithmancy Studies · Ancient Studies · Art · Flying · Frog Choir · Ghoul Studies · Hogwarts orchestra · Magical Theory · Muggle Art · Muggle Music · Music · Xylomancy|