Some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, and, as such, spoilers will be present.
Daphne Greengrass (b. 1979/1980) was a pure-blood witch and a member of the Greengrass family, an old wizarding family and one of the Sacred Twenty-Eight. She began attending Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry in 1991 and was Sorted into Slytherin House. She was in the same year as the famous Harry Potter.
The Greengrass sisters were raised to believe in the ideals of pure-blood supremacy. Their family was one of the oldest, "truest" pure-blood families in Britain, and were counted among the Sacred Twenty-Eight. One of the sisters' distant ancestors was cursed with a blood malediction, which resurfaced in Astoria. It is unknown whether Daphne suffered from the same condition as her younger sister.
Hogwarts years (1991-1998)
She took her O.W.L.s in 1996 at the same time as Hermione Granger. The following school year, she wasn't one of the select students who advanced to N.E.W.T.-level Potions, and thus she evidently failed to achieve the required grade or did not find continuing on to N.E.W.T. Potions worthwhile.
Daphne's younger sister Astoria eventually married Draco Malfoy, a fellow Slytherin in the same year as Daphne at Hogwarts. She had a nephew, Scorpius, by this marriage. It is currently unknown whether Daphne herself ever married or had any children of her own.
The name Daphne means "Laurel" in Greek. It is derived from the nymph Daphne in Greek mythology, who was pursued by the god Apollo. She prayed to her father, the river god Peneus, to change her body in order to escape the love-struck Apollo and Peneus then transformed her into the laurel tree, which Apollo then claimed as one of his sacred symbols. In Ancient Greece, a wreath of laurels was given as a prize and considered a symbol of prosperity, fame and victory.
Behind the scenes
- Based on a list of students revealed by J.K. Rowling in Harry Potter and Me, Daphne's first name may have originally been "Queenie."
- This individual is often said to have played Daphne Greengrass in the films, but there has been no link established.
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 31 (O.W.L.s) - Daphne takes her O.W.L.s the same year as Harry Potter, so she must have been born 1979 or 1980 to also have been sorted in 1991.
- ↑ World 8 July 2000 South West News Service interview
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Epilogue - Daphne's nephew, Scorpius, was described as pure-blood by Ron Weasley indicating that Daphne and her sister Astoria were born into a pure-blood family.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Harry Potter and Me - Daphne Greengrass (then named Queenie Greengrass) is listed as pure-blood and Slytherin in the hand-drawn list of students in Harry Potter's year shown by J. K. Rowling in the documentary.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 "Rowling Answers 10 Questions About Harry" from TIME
- ↑ 24 December 2007 PotterCast interview with J. K. Rowling
- ↑ Writing by J.K. Rowling: "Draco Malfoy" at Pottermore
- ↑ Writing by J.K. Rowling: "Pure-Blood" at Pottermore
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Act Four, Scene Four
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 37
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Act One, Scene Four
- ↑ Bay Laurel on Wikipedia
- ↑ http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Daphne_and_Apollo
- ↑ Writing by J.K. Rowling: "The Original Forty" at Pottermore