Daphne Greengrass (b. 1979/1980) was a pure-blood witch and a member of the Greengrass family, an old wizarding family and one of the Sacred Twenty-Eight. She began attending Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry in 1991 and was Sorted into Slytherin House. She was in the same year as the famous Harry Potter.
Daphne was born in 1979 or 1980. She was a member of the Greengrass family, among the oldest and truly pure-blooded families in Britain, and were listed on the Sacred Twenty-Eight. She and her sister were raised to believe in the ideals of Pure-blood supremacy.
Hogwarts years (1991-1998)
Daphne began her education at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry in 1991, where she was sorted into Slytherin. During her school years, Daphne was part of Pansy Parkinson's "gang" of Slytherin girls. She shared a dormitory in Slytherin Dungeon with Pansy Parkinson, Millicent Bulstrode, Tracey Davis, and another girl. She took her O.W.L.s in 1996 at the same time as Hermione Granger. In 1996 she wasn't one of the very few students able to advance to N.E.W.T.-level Potions, she evidently failed to achieve the required grade or did not find continuing on to N.E.W.T. Potions worthwhile.
Later life (Post 1998)
Daphne's younger sister (Astoria Greengrass) eventually married Draco Malfoy, a fellow Slytherin in the same year as Daphne at Hogwarts. She has a nephew (Scorpius) by this marriage. It is currently unknown if Daphne herself ever married and had any children of her own. In 2019, Daphne lost Astoria from the curse that resurfaced from their bloodline of their ancestor. It is unknown as to whether Daphne herself suffered from the blood curse that killed her sister.
The name Daphne means "Laurel" in Greek. It is derived from the nymph Daphne in Greek mythology, who was pursued by the god Apollo. She prayed to her father, the river god Peneus, to change her body in order to escape the love-struck Apollo and Peneus then transformed her into the laurel tree, which Apollo then claimed as one of his sacred symbols. In Ancient Greece, a wreath of laurels was given as a prize and considered a symbol of prosperity, fame and victory.
Behind the scenes
- Based on a list of students revealed by J.K. Rowling in Harry Potter and Me, Daphne's first name may have originally been "Queenie."
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 31 (O.W.L.s) - Daphne takes her O.W.L.s the same year as Harry Potter so she must have been born 1979/1980 to also have been sorted in 1991.
- ↑ World Exclusive Interview with J K Rowling
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Epilogue - Daphne's nephew, Scorpius, was described as pure-blood by Ron Weasley indicating that Daphne and her sister Astoria were born into a pure-blood family.
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 31 (O.W.L.s)
- ↑ Pottermore - Writing by J.K. Rowling: "Pure-Blood"
- ↑ Pottermore - Writing by J.K. Rowling: "Draco Malfoy"
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 TIME magazine - JK Rowling answers 10 questions about Harry
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Act One, Scene Four
- ↑ Bay Laurel on Wikipedia
- ↑ http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Daphne_and_Apollo
- ↑ Pottermore - Writing by J.K. Rowling: "The Original Forty"