- "The "Dancing Feet" spell has its origins in ancient Italy, but is best remembered for its improper usage by Warlock Zaccaria Innocenti who is credited with conjuring a 'dance' within Mt. Vesuvius in 79 AD."
The Dancing Feet Spell (Tarantallegra) is a charm used to force another person's legs to begin dancing uncontrollably. The spell requires a clear, unobstructed view of the target to be successfully cast.
This spell has its origins in Italy but is best remembered for its improper usage by warlock Zaccaria Innocenti who is credited with conjuring a 'dance' within Mount Vesuvius in 79 AD. It is mainly used to make a victim do something hilarious, but it can be also be used in duelling. Draco Malfoy cast this spell on Harry Potter in 1992 at the first meeting of the Duelling Club. Antonin Dolohov used it against Neville Longbottom during the Battle of the Department of Mysteries. It is possible this is the spell used to make a pineapple dance across the classroom in the first year charms exam.
The Tarantella is a dance originating in Italy. It was believed to cure the effects of the bite of a Tarantula by causing the victim to sweat out the toxin. It wasn't until centuries later that scientists determined the Black Widow was actually the venomous spider in question; people merely blamed the Tarantula because of its size. Allegra may be derived from allegro, a musical tempo meaning "quick and lively"; or simply from the word "leg" as this is the only body part affected by the jinx.
Behind the scenes
- It can be bought at Wiseacre's Wizarding Equipment in Diagon Alley in LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4.
- It should be noted that although this spell requires the target to have legs (animate or inanimate) it can also provoke a reaction out of legless targets (for example, it is known to have caused Mt. Vesuvius to erupt).
- In Pottermore, the hand motion is shown as thus:
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- Harry Potter Official Site
Notes and references
- ↑ http://www.pottermore.com/en/book2/chapter11/moment2
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Tarantallegra entry on the Cast-a-Spell kit found in the Library section of the Harry Potter Official Site.
- ↑ It is included in The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 2 on Pottermore.
- ↑ A&E Special on Spiders
|Grade 1 · Grade 2 · Grade 3 · Grade 4 · Grade 5 · Grade 6|
|Charms included in the series: Fire-Making Spell · Levitation Charm · Locking Spell · Mending Charm · Softening Charm · Severing Charm · Unlocking Charm · Dancing Feet Spell · Disarming Charm · Engorgement Charm · Freezing Charm · General Counter-Spell · Memory Charm · Tickling Charm · Summoning Charm · Banishing Charm · Substantive Charm|