Demetrius J. Prod (d. 27 November, 1998) was a wizard who lived in Didsbury, England in late 1992. He died on 27 November, 1998 after an argument with his wife, Elsie, over the washing-up. His obituary in the Daily Prophet mentioned that he died "noisily".
Little is known of Demetrius' early life; he was trained (albeit not well) in the magical arts and could perform weak enchantments. Sometime in his life, he met Elsie; the two would later marry, although they didn't get along very well.
Sometime prior to January 1992, Demetrius wrote to Kwikspell Company, and a month thereafter managed to turn Elsie into a yak; he wrote an advertisement for the Kwikspell Company, proud of this feat. Harry Potter and Argus Filch would later read about this.
Demetrius and his wife didn't seem to get along too well; she sneered at his feeble charms, and he once turned her into a yak. They frequently argued, and it was during one argument over the washing-up that Demetrius met his death.
The name "Demetrius" is the Latinised form of the Greek name Δημήτριος (Demetrios), which was derived from the name of the Greek goddess Demeter. Kings of Macedon and the Seleucid kingdom have had this name. This was also the name of several early saints, including a Saint Demetrius who was martyred in the 4th century.
Behind the scenes
- In the books, he is known as D.J. Prod; he is first identified as "Demetrius J. Prod" in the Daily Prophet Newsletters.
- In the Danish translation of the book his name is not abbreviated, and it is changed to Pyllerman Pjok.
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 The newspaper dates February 8th 1999. Seen as the death took place in November, it is likely it happened the year before.
- ↑ Daily Prophet Newsletters
- ↑ I Chris Wilson did a photo shoot at Warner Brothers Studios as a character called Yak Man, This was mentioned in the Call Sheet and all paperwork, later i was told the Character was Demetrius Prod.