At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
|"There are plenty of eye-witness accounts. Just because you're so narrow-minded you need to have everything shoved under your nose before you–"
This article contains a list of appearances, but currently has few or no notes and references. Please help the Harry Potter Wiki by adding notes and/or references to bring this article to a higher standard of quality.
- "Are you seeking a challenging career involving travel, adventure, and substantial, danger-related treasure bonuses? Then consider a position with Gringotts Wizarding Bank, who are currently recruiting Curse-Breakers for thrilling opportunities abroad."
- —Pamphlet on Gringotts jobs given to Hogwarts students[src]
A Curse-Breaker is an occupational title denoted to witches and wizards who removes, counters or breaks curses placed on objects or places for a living. Best known as one of the profession sought after by Gringotts Wizarding Bank, in which a wizard or witch disables or counters curses in ancient tombs or other historical sites, in order to bring back gold and other treasure to Gringotts, Curse-Breakers can also work for the Ministry of Magic, removing curses, hexes and jinxes from illegally bewitched objects. It is speculated that Curse-Breakers employed by Gringotts are almost the equivalent of Muggle archaeologists.
It is said to be a very dangerous and serious profession, in which a wizard or witch could be killed as a result of an old curse, jinx, or hex. An O.W.L. in Arithmancy is required, as some banking and transacting will be done. Also, presumably, N.E.W.T.s in Defence Against the Dark Arts, Potions, Transfiguration, and Charms would be necessary, given the dangerous aspects of the job, as well as one in Ancient Runes (however, this is merely a speculation). Based on the Gringotts' recruitment pamphlet, the career is meant for the adventurous, which Bill Weasley has been stated by his brother Ron.
Curse-Breakers do not have any form of formal uniform, and the Goblins running Gringotts is said to generally care little about what they look like in terms of appearance or dress, as long as they bring much treasure back to the bank. Curse-Breakers are known to operate in Egypt and other areas of ancient magical importance.
Known Curse Breakers
Behind the scenes
- Though not confirmed, it is possible that Curse-Breakers can either work for or be called in to assist treating patients at St Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries to deal with incidents like what happened to Katie Bell after touching a cursed Opal Necklace from Borgin and Burkes.
- The Curse-Breakers employed by the Ministry of Magic most likely have their headquarters at the Office for the Removal of Curses, Jinxes, and Hexes.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Mentioned only)
- Wonderbook: Book of Potions
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery (mentioned only)
<ref>tags exist, but no
<references/>tag was found