Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film). As such, spoilers will be present within the article.
Credence Barebone was an American wizard who lived during the 20th century. He was the adopted son of Mary Lou Barebone, the leader of the New Salem Philanthropic Society, a No-Maj anti-witchcraft group.
Credence was an Obscurial. He was far older than any other Obscurial known to wizardkind - the previous record being only ten years. This is testament to his incredible power as a wizard.
Credence was born to an unnamed witch who died when he was young and he was adopted by Mary Lou Barebone, an anti-witchcraft preacher who physically abused him, which caused him to suppress his magic.
By 1926, Credence was losing control of his Obscurus and it manifested in outbursts that were wreaking havoc in New York. During this time, he was contacted by Gellert Grindelwald, in the disguise of Percival Graves, who asked him to help find the obscurial child in the Second Salem Church; in return Credence was promised to be made free and taught magic.
On 6 December, after a failed attempt by the Second Salemers to garnish support of Henry Shaw Senior and being insulted by his son the senator, Credence's Obscurus manifested and attacked a City Hall fund-raising dinner, killing the senator.
The next day, Credence found a wand in Modesty's bedroom, but their foster mother assumed it was his. As Mary-Lou prepared to punish Credence, Modesty admitted it was hers, and the belt was torn from Mary Lou's hand. An Obscurus burst free at that moment and killed both Mary Lou and Chastity.
Still in the form of Graves, Grindelwald came for him and demanded Credence take him to Modesty who fled the destruction to her home before she was adopted. Once there, Grindelwald told Credence that he had no further use for him. This betrayal caused Credence to reveal his obscurus to the surprise of Grindelwald. Although Grindelwald attempted to apologise and offered to train him, Credence lost control and transformed completely into an Obscurus and went on a rampage. Grindelwald pursued him and the pair were found by Newton Scamander. Newt managed to calm Credence down in a subway tunnel, only for him to start attacking the Dark Wizard before the Magizoologist could gain his attention, though Tina managed to get him to stop once more. Soon after Seraphina Picquery and Aurors from MACUSA arrived and proceeded to attack him, only stopping when they believed he was destroyed, though a single shred of his Obscurus Form flees the scene, unbeknownst to anyone but Newt.
Personality and Traits
He was described as "troubled" and "mysterious." Shy and withdrawn, this made him far more vulnerable to the abuse that came in response to the slightest infraction of his adoptive mother's strict rules. His timid personality also made him susceptible to manipulation by Gellert Grindelwald, who took a personal interest in him.
However, when he was insulted or threatened, he became violent, causing wide-spread destruction and death to those who provoked him.
Magical abilities and skills
- Obscurus Transformation: Credence was an Obscurial, prone to becoming an Obscurus due to years of being forced to suppress his magic. He was notably more powerful than other known obscurials, living longer than any previously known.
Credence feared his foster mother due to her constant abuse. When she was about to attack his younger foster sister, he transformed into his Obscurus form and killed her.
Modesty was kind to her older foster brother and he was close to her as a result. She defended him when he was about to be whipped by their foster mother. However, once he killed their foster mother and foster sister, she became fearful of him.
Grindelwald used Credence to try and locate the Obscurial and tossed him aside when he thought he had obtained his goal. When it was revealed that Credence was the Obscurial, he offered to train him, but Credence declined. He continued to attempt to recruit Credence until he vanished after being attacked by many aurors.
Behind the scenes
- Credence is portrayed by Ezra Miller in the film inspired by Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.
- Initial reports said this character's name was "Kredan". When asked about it via Twitter, J. K. Rowling said, "Kredan is quite literally nobody. They got the name wrong!"
- Credence reportedly becomes a "notable" character within the Harry Potter universe.
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film) (First appearance)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them 2 (film)
- LEGO Dimensions
Notes and references
- ↑ Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film) was set in 1926 and he was older than 10.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 "Fantastic Beasts: First look at Ezra Miller's mysterious character" at Entertainment Weekly
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 'Fantastic Beasts' Character Descriptions Revealed at EW.com
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 "Everything we've learned about ‘Fantastic Beasts' this week" from Pottermore
- ↑ "Filming Gets Underway on «Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them»" at BusinessWire
- ↑ "Ezra Miller Eyes ‘Harry Potter’ Spinoff ‘Fantastic Beasts’ (EXCLUSIVE)" at Variety.com
- ↑ .@KeridoAvada Kredan is quite literally nobody. They got the name wrong! by J.K. Rowling on Twitter
- ↑ 'Fantastic Beasts' cast talk wands, creatures, Newt & his friends, Salem trials, more" from SnitchSeeker.com