|"Neither can live while the other survives..."|
- "- even with Snape muttering his little counter-curse."
- —Quirinus Quirrell scorning Severus Snape's attempts to save Harry Potter[src]
During their time at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, James Potter cast the countercurse for the Full Body-Bind Curse that Sirius Black had cast on Severus Snape after being let down from the Levicorpus spell James had cast on him.
On 31 July 1991, during his first trip to Diagon Alley, Harry Potter was interested in buying Curses and Counter-Curses. This book, by Vindictus Viridian, covered several jinxes and curses, as well as their counter spells.
In the 1994–1995 school year, Bartemius Crouch Junior (in the guise of Alastor Moody) told his Fourth year Defence Against the Dark Arts students that according to the British Ministry of Magic, he was only supposed to teach them countercurses and not show them illegal Dark curses.
In the 1996-1997 school year, Harry Potter used Liberacorpus, the counter-spell of Levicorpus (a spell he found in the Half-Blood Prince's book), on Ron Weasley, in the Gryffindor Boys' Dormitory.
- In 1992, Gilderoy Lockhart claimed that he knew the counter-curse to prevent the Transmogrifian Torture. Due to his dishonesty, it is debatable if such counter-curses exist to begin with.
Behind the scenes
- Gilderoy Lockhart claimed that he knew the counter-curse to prevent the petrification (in the second film), as opposed to the Transmogrifian Torture (in the novel), although there is a great chance that he was simply trying to inflate his reputation, as he is known for a great ineptidude for magic and probably does not know the counter-curse.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Notes and references
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 28 (Snape's Worst Memory)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 5 (Diagon Alley)
- ↑ Pottermore (original version)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 17 (The Man with Two Faces)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 13 (Nicolas Flamel)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 14 (The Unforgivable Curses)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 25 (The Beetle at Bay)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 12 (Professor Umbridge)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 3 (Will and Won't)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 12 (Silver and Opals)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 24 (Sectumsempra)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Chapter 9 (The Writing on the Wall)