Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Conjuration is an advanced form and branch of Transfiguration, some of the most complex magic taught at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Conjurations are distinguished from the other branches of Transfiguration by their ability to transfigure the desired object from 'thin air'.
Since Conjuration is an advanced form of Transfiguration, most are N.E.W.T.-level, taught to sixth years and above at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, although some conjurations are simpler and are taught to younger students. Some conjurations taught are the Water-Making Spell (Aguamenti) and the Bird-Conjuring Charm (Avis). There are limits as to what can be conjured, however; according to Gamp's Law of Elemental Transfiguration, food cannot be conjured. Food can be summoned and transfigured but, never conjured.
According to The Book of Spells by Miranda Goshawk, "for reasons that are still not fully understood ... two categories of creature are easier to conjure from nothing than any other: birds and snakes." The spell to conjure birds is called the Bird-Conjuring Charm, which suggests that Serpensortia might be called the Snake-Conjuring Charm.
Many things can go wrong when attempting to conjure something from nothing, especially in the case of living creatures. If Conjuration is not performed exactly right or if the caster is simply messing around with Conjuring Spells, mistakes such as frog-rabbit hybrids can occur. The hybrids in question can be explainable by the magical law Principle of Artificianimate Quasi-Dominance. Things such as severed heads and indeterminate stumps can also occur, when the conjuration isn't exactly right, as well.
Miranda Goshawk, has written entries in the Standard Book of Spells series about the dangers of poor conjuration.
Known instances of Conjuration
- "However, these brothers were learned in the magical arts, and so they simply waved their wands and made a bridge appear across the treacherous water."
- —The Tales of Beedle the Bard
|The Three Brothers||Unknown||In the Tales of Beedle the Bard, the three brothers conjured a bridge to get across a river.|
|Appleby Arrows supporters||pre 1894||Appleby Arrows supporters used to fire arrows onto the Quidditch pitch to support their team by use of the Arrow-shooting spell, however, the spell was banned in 1894 when referee Nugent Potts was pierced through the nose with a stray arrow.|
|Unknown||1940s||Some time during his time at Hogwarts, Rubeus Hagrid was the victim of a Sardine Hex.|
|Rubeus Hagrid||31 July, 1991||Hagrid conjured flames and lit a fire in the Hut-on-the-Rock by use of the Incendio spell.|
|Hermione Granger||1991–1992 school year||Hermione conjured Bluebell flames to keep herself, Ron Weasley and Harry Potter warm during the winter months, as well as setting Severus Snape's robes on fire and to fend off the Devil's Snare which was attacking them.|
|Filius Flitwick||1991||Professor Flitwick conjured gold bubbles for Christmas decorations.|
|Minerva McGonagall||1992||Professor McGonagall may have conjured a chair leg when Neville Longbottom accidentally vanished it.|
|Quirinus Quirrel||4 June, 1992||Quirrell non-verbally conjured ropes to trap Harry Potter, possibly by use of the Incarcerous Spell.|
|Draco Malfoy||1992||During a practise Duel against Harry Potter, Draco Malfoy conjured a snake by use of the Serpensortia Spell.|
|Minerva McGonagall||1992–1993 school year||Professor McGonagall conjured a fan after the attack of Nearly Headless Nick and instructed Ernie Macmillan to "waft" him up to the Hospital wing.|
|Tom Riddle||1993||The fragment of soul contained in Tom Riddle's Diary non-verbally conjured fiery ropes to spell his name by use of the Flagrate Spell.|
|Albus Dumbledore||1993||Dumbledore may have conjured a stretcher and then 'magicked' Harry onto it when he fell from his broom in 1993.|
|Dumbledore conjured hundreds of purple sleeping bags for students who were taking refuge in the Great Hall after Sirius Black's break-in to Hogwarts|
|Unknown||1994||A Leek Jinx was cast on a Fourth year Gryffindor and a Sixth year Slytherin.|
|Remus Lupin||6 June, 1994||Remus conjured a wooden rod and bandages to help support Ron Weasley's broken leg by use of the Ferula charm.|
|Remus also conjured ropes to bind and gag Peter Pettigrew, by use of the Incarcerous Spell|
|Severus Snape||6 June, 1994||Snape conjured ropes to bind and gag Remus Lupin in the Shrieking Shack, by use of the Incarcerous Spell|
|Sirius Black||Sirius conjured shackles to bind Peter Pettigrew to Remus Lupin and Ron Weasley.|
|Arthur Weasley||August, 1994||Mr Weasley conjured flames and lit a fire in the Dursley's fireplace by use of the Incendio Spell.|
|Bill Weasley||While having dinner outside at the Burrow Bill and Charlie Weasley conjured table cloths for the tables.|
|Mr Ollivander||1994||During the Wand Weighing ceremony, Mr Ollivander conjured wine to test Harry Potter's wand by use of the Fountain of Wine Spell.|
|During the Wand Weighing ceremony in, Mr Ollivander conjured a flock of birds to test Viktor Krum's wand by use of the Avis Spell.|
|Also during the Wand Weighing ceremony, Mr Ollivander also conjured flowers to test Fleur Delacour's wand by use of the Orchideous Spell.|
|Beauxbatons Academy of Magic||September, 1994||the Triwizard Tournament delegation from Beauxbatons Academy of Magic conjured butterflies upon their arrival at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.|
|Fleur Delacour||24 November, 1994||Fleur conjured water during the First Task of the Triwizard Tournament, by use of the Aguamenti Charm|
|Albus Dumbledore||1995||Dumbledore conjured a tea tray at Hagrid's cabin.|
|Peter Pettigrew||24 June, 1995||Pettigrew conjured ropes which bound Harry Potter to Tom Riddle Snr's gravestone, possibly by use of the Incarcerous Spell.|
|Albus Dumbledore||12 August, 1995||Dumbledore conjured two armchairs (for himself and Mrs Figg) during the disciplinary hearing of Harry Potter.|
|Arthur Weasley||January, 1996||Mr Weasley conjured a number of chairs for his family and friends while they were visiting him in St Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries.|
|Dolores Umbridge||17 June, 1996||Umbridge conjured ropes which bound Magorian the Centaur, after she insulted them in the Forbidden Forest, by use of the Incarcerous Spell.|
|Hermione Granger||Hermione conjured a fiery rope to mark the doors in the Department of Mysteries by use of the Flagrate Spell.|
|Albus Dumbledore||During the Duel in the Ministry Atrium, Dumbledore conjured a fiery rope which he sent at Lord Voldemort by use of the Flagrate Spell.|
|Lord Voldemort||During the duel in the Ministry Atrium, Lord Voldemort conjured a silver shield to block one of Albus Dumbledore's spells.|
|Hermione Granger||December, 1996||Hermione conjured a flock of canaries to keep herself company, by use of the Avis Spell.|
|Albus Dumbledore||30 June, 1997||Dumbledore conjured a goblet to drink the Emerald Green Potion in the Horcrux cave.|
|Harry Potter||Harry conjured water to give Albus Dumbledore in the Horcrux Cave by use of the Aguamenti Charm, however, the water disappeared due to a protective curse.|
|During the Battle of the Astronomy Tower, Harry conjured ropes which bound an Inferius in the Horcrux Cave, by use of the Incarcerous Spell.|
|Also during the Battle of the Astronomy Tower, Harry conjured ropes in a failed attempt to stop Severus Snape fleeing from Hogwarts by use of the Incarcerous Spell|
|Thorfinn Rowle||During the Battle of the Astronomy Tower, Rowle conjured flames to set Rubeus Hagrid's cabin on fire by use of the Incendio Spell.|
|Harry Potter||Harry and Hagrid conjured water by use of the Aguamenti Charm to douse the fire which Thorfinn Rowle had created.|
|Antonin Dolohov||1 August, 1997||During the Luchino Caffe Duel, Dolohov conjured ropes which bound Ron Weasley, possibly by use of the Incarcerous Spell.|
|Hermione Granger||31 July, 1997||Hermione conjured purple and gold streamers to decorate Harry Potter's seventeenth birthday party.|
|August, 1997||While interrogating Mundungus, Harry Potter accidentally set his eyebrows on fire. Hermione Granger conjured water to put the fire out by use of the Aguamenti Charm.|
|2 September, 1997||Hermione conjured a duplicate of Salazar Slytherin's Locket by use of the Geminio curse.|
|1997-1998||Hermione conjured Bluebell flames in order to keep warm and to cook with.|
|24 December, 1997||When visiting the graves of Lily and James Potter at the Godric's Hollow graveyard, Hermione non-verbally conjured a wreath of Christmas roses to place on them.|
|2 May, 1998||Hermione conjured a crystal flask to hold Severus Snape's memory|
|Harry Potter||During the Battle of Hogwarts, Harry tried to douse Vincent Crabbe's Fiendfyre curse with the Aguamenti Charm, to ill effect.|
Known Conjuration spells
- Arrow-shooting spell: Conjures and fires a group of arrows.
- Aqua Eructo Charm (Aqua Eructo): Conjures a jet of clear water, similar to Aguamenti.
- Bird-Conjuring Spell (Avis): Conjures a flock of birds.
- Bluebell Flames: Conjures blue flames.
- Bridge-conjuring spell: Conjures a bridge
- Butterfly-conjuring spell: Conjures butterflies
- Ecto Spell (Ectomatic): conjures ectoplasm
- Ferula: Conjures a wooden rod and bandages.
- Fiendfyre: Conjures cursed fire.
- Fire-Making Spell (Incendio): Conjures a jet of flame
- Flagrate: Conjures a fiery rope.
- Fountain of Wine: Conjures wine.
- Gemino Curse (Geminio): Conjures a duplicate of target object.
- Inanimatus Conjurus Spell: Possibly conjures an object.
- Incarcerous: Conjures ropes.
- Leek Jinx: Conjures leeks from the victim's ears.
- Orchideous: Conjures flowers.
- Sardine Hex: Conjures sardines from the victim's nose.
- Snake Summons Spell (Serpensortia): Conjures a snake.
- Water-Making Spell (Aguamenti): Conjures a jet of clear water, similar to Aqua Eructo.
- Appleby Arrows supporters
Behind the scenes
J.K. Rowling has said that items conjured from thin air tend not to last long.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- Harry Potter: The Creature Vault (mentioned only)
Notes and references
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 26 (The Cave)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- ↑ http://www.accio-quote.org/articles/2000/0700-swns-alfie.htm
|Professors: Albus Dumbledore · Minerva McGonagall|
|Textbooks: A Beginner's Guide to Transfiguration · Intermediate Transfiguration · A Guide to Advanced Transfiguration|
|Known practitioners: Emeric Switch · Circe · Falco Aesalon · Mirabella Plunkett · Thaddeus Thurkell ·|
|Transfiguration spells studied at Hogwarts: Chair to cat · Match to needle · Snail to Teapot · Teacup to Rat · Switching Spell · Transforming Spell · Avifors Spell · Mice to Snuffboxes · Beetle Buttons · Rabbit Slippers · Vera Verto · Teapot to tortoise · Draconifors Spell · Lapifors Spell · Vanishing Spell · Owl to opera glasses · Guinea fowl to guinea pig · Hedgehog to pincushion · Small Child to Rat · Meddling Man to Monkey · Crinus Muto|
|Branches of Transfiguration: Transformation · Vanishment · Conjuration · Untransfiguration|