Conjuration is an advanced form and branch of Transfiguration, some of the most complex magic taught at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Conjurations are distinguished from the other branches of Transfiguration, by their ability to transfigure the desired object from 'thin air'.
Conjuration is more than difficult than Transformation, Switching, and Vanishment and is only taught to students at N.E.W.T.-level. The only form of Transfiguration exceeds Conjuration in difficulty is Human Transfiguration. Conjuration also has some overlap with charms and some Dark spells, such as the Water-making Spell and the Floating-eyes Curse.
Since Conjuration is an advanced form of Transfiguration, most are N.E.W.T.-level, taught to sixth years and above at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, although some conjurations are simpler and are taught to younger students. Some conjurations taught are the Fire-Making Spell (Incendio), the Water-Making Spell (Aguamenti) and the Bird-Conjuring Charm (Avis), the former two are taught in Charms class. There are limits as to what can be conjured; Gamp's Law of Elemental Transfiguration has five Principal Exceptions which cannot be conjured, one of which is food.
According to The Book of Spells by Miranda Goshawk, "for reasons that are still not fully understood ... two categories of creature are easier to conjure from nothing than any other: birds and snakes." The spell to conjure birds is called the Bird-Conjuring Charm, which suggests that Serpensortia might be called the Snake-Conjuring Charm.
Many things can go wrong when attempting to conjure something from nothing, especially in the case of living creatures. If Conjuration is not performed exactly right or if the caster is simply messing around with Conjuring Spells, mistakes such as frog-rabbit hybrids can occur. The hybrids in question can be explainable by the magical law Principle of Artificianimate Quasi-Dominance. Things such as severed heads and indeterminate stumps can also occur, when the conjuration isn't exactly right, as well.
Miranda Goshawk, has written entries in the Standard Book of Spells series about the dangers of poor conjuration.
Known instances of Conjuration
- "However, these brothers were learned in the magical arts, and so they simply waved their wands and made a bridge appear across the treacherous water."
- —The Tales of Beedle the Bard
|The Three Brothers||Unknown||In the Tales of Beedle the Bard, the three brothers conjured a bridge to get across a river.|
|Appleby Arrows supporters||pre 1894||Appleby Arrows supporters used to fire arrows onto the Quidditch pitch to support their team by use of the Arrow-shooting spell, however, the spell was banned in 1894 when referee Nugent Potts was pierced through the nose with a stray arrow.|
|Unknown||1940s||Sometime during his time at Hogwarts, Rubeus Hagrid was the victim of a Sardine Hex.|
1991–1992 school year
|Rubeus Hagrid||31 July 1991||Hagrid conjured flames and lit a fire in the Hut-on-the-Rock by use of the Incendio spell.|
|Hermione Granger||1991–1992 school year||Hermione conjured Bluebell flames to keep herself, Ron Weasley and Harry Potter warm during the winter months, as well as setting Severus Snape's robes on fire and to fend off the Devil's Snare which was attacking them.|
|Filius Flitwick||1991||Professor Flitwick conjured gold bubbles for Christmas decorations.|
|Minerva McGonagall||1992||Professor McGonagall may have conjured a chair leg when Neville Longbottom accidentally vanished it.|
|Quirinus Quirrell||4 June 1992||Quirrell non-verbally conjured ropes to trap Harry Potter, possibly by use of the Incarcerous Spell.|
1992–1993 school year
|Draco Malfoy||1992||During a practise Duel against Harry Potter, Draco Malfoy conjured a snake by use of the Serpensortia Spell.|
|Minerva McGonagall||1992–1993 school year||Professor McGonagall conjured a fan after the attack of Nearly Headless Nick and instructed Ernie Macmillan to "waft" him up to the Hospital Wing.|
|Tom Riddle||1993||The fragment of soul contained in Tom Riddle's Diary non-verbally conjured fiery ropes to spell his name by use of the Flagrate Spell.|
1993–1994 school year
|Albus Dumbledore||1993||Dumbledore may have conjured a stretcher and then 'magicked' Harry onto it when he fell from his broom in 1993.|
|Dumbledore conjured hundreds of purple sleeping bags for students who were taking refuge in the Great Hall after Sirius Black's break-in to Hogwarts|
|Unknown||1994||A Leek Jinx was cast on a Fourth year Gryffindor and a Sixth year Slytherin.|
|Remus Lupin||6 June 1994||Remus conjured a wooden rod and bandages to help support Ron Weasley's broken leg by use of the Ferula charm.|
|Remus also conjured ropes to bind and gag Peter Pettigrew, by use of the Incarcerous Spell|
|Severus Snape||6 June 1994||Snape conjured ropes to bind and gag Remus Lupin in the Shrieking Shack, by use of the Incarcerous Spell|
|Sirius Black||Sirius conjured shackles to bind Peter Pettigrew to Remus Lupin and Ron Weasley.|
1994–1995 school year
|Arthur Weasley||August 1994||Mr Weasley conjured flames and lit a fire in the Dursley's fireplace by use of the Incendio Spell.|
|Bill Weasley||While having dinner outside at the Burrow Bill and Charlie Weasley conjured tablecloths for the tables.|
|Mr Ollivander||1994||During the Wand weighing ceremony, Mr Ollivander conjured wine to test Harry Potter's wand by use of the Fountain of Wine Spell.|
|During the Wand Weighing ceremony in, Mr Ollivander conjured a flock of birds to test Viktor Krum's wand by use of the Avis Spell.|
|Also during the Wand Weighing ceremony, Mr Ollivander also conjured flowers to test Fleur Delacour's wand by use of the Orchideous Spell.|
|Beauxbatons Academy of Magic||September 1994||the Triwizard Tournament delegation from Beauxbatons Academy of Magic conjured butterflies upon their arrival at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.|
|Fleur Delacour||24 November 1994||Fleur conjured water during the First Task of the Triwizard Tournament, by use of the Aguamenti Charm|
|Albus Dumbledore||1995||Dumbledore conjured a tea tray at Hagrid's cabin.|
|Peter Pettigrew||24 June 1995||Pettigrew conjured ropes which bound Harry Potter to Tom Riddle Snr's gravestone, possibly by use of the Incarcerous Spell.|
1995–1996 school year
|Albus Dumbledore||12 August 1995||Dumbledore conjured two armchairs (for himself and Mrs Figg) during the disciplinary hearing of Harry Potter.|
|Arthur Weasley||January 1996||Mr Weasley conjured a number of chairs for his family and friends while they were visiting him in St Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries.|
|Dolores Umbridge||17 June 1996||Umbridge conjured ropes which bound Magorian the Centaur, after she insulted them in the Forbidden Forest, by use of the Incarcerous Spell.|
|Hermione Granger||Hermione conjured a fiery rope to mark the doors in the Department of Mysteries by use of the Flagrate Spell.|
|Albus Dumbledore||During the Duel in the Ministry Atrium,Dumbledore conjured a fiery rope which he sent at Lord Voldemort by use of the Flagrate Spell.|
|Lord Voldemort||During the duel in the Ministry Atrium, Lord Voldemort conjured a silver shield to block one of Albus Dumbledore's spells.|
1996–1997 school year
|Hermione Granger||December 1996||Hermione conjured a flock of canaries to keep herself company, by use of the Avis Spell.|
|Albus Dumbledore||30 June 1997||Dumbledore conjured a goblet to drink the Emerald Green Potion in the Horcrux cave.|
|Harry Potter||Harry conjured water to give Albus Dumbledore in the Horcrux Cave by use of the Aguamenti Charm, however, the water disappeared due to a protective curse.|
|During the Battle of the Astronomy Tower, Harry conjured ropes which bound an Inferius in the Horcrux Cave, by use of the Incarcerous Spell.|
|Also during the Battle of the Astronomy Tower, Harry conjured ropes in a failed attempt to stop Severus Snape fleeing from Hogwarts by use of the Incarcerous Spell|
|Thorfinn Rowle||During the Battle of the Astronomy Tower, Rowle conjured flames to set Rubeus Hagrid's cabin on fire by use of the Incendio Spell.|
|Harry Potter||Harry and Hagrid conjured water by use of the Aguamenti Charm to douse the fire which Thorfinn Rowle had created.|
1997–1998 school year
|Antonin Dolohov||1 August 1997||During the Luchino Caffe Duel,Dolohov conjured ropes which bound Ron Weasley, possibly by use of the Incarcerous Spell.|
|Hermione Granger||31 July 1997||Hermione conjured purple and gold streamers to decorate Harry Potter's seventeenth birthday party.|
|August 1997||While interrogating Mundungus, Harry Potter accidentally set his eyebrows on fire. Hermione Granger conjured water to put the fire out by use of the Aguamenti Charm.|
|2 September 1997||Hermione conjured a duplicate of Salazar Slytherin's Locket by use of the Geminio curse.|
|1997-1998||Hermione conjured Bluebell flames in order to keep warm and to cook with.|
|24 December 1997||When visiting the graves of Lily and James Potter at the Godric's Hollow graveyard, Hermione non-verbally conjured a wreath of Christmas roses to place on them.|
|2 May 1998||Hermione conjured a crystal flask to hold Severus Snape's memory|
|Harry Potter||During the Battle of Hogwarts, Harry tried to douse Vincent Crabbe's Fiendfyre curse with the Aguamenti Charm, to ill effect.|
Known Conjuration spells
- Arrow-shooting spell: Conjures and fires a group of arrows.
- Aqua Eructo Charm (Aqua Eructo): Conjures a jet of clear water, similar to Aguamenti.
- Bird-Conjuring Spell (Avis): Conjures a flock of birds.
- Bluebell Flames: Conjures blue flames.
- Bridge-conjuring spell: Conjures a bridge
- Butterfly-conjuring spell: Conjures butterflies
- Ecto Spell (Ectomatic): conjures ectoplasm
- Ferula: Conjures a wooden rod and bandages.
- Fiendfyre: Conjures cursed fire.
- Fire-Making Spell (Incendio): Conjures a jet of flame
- Flagrate: Conjures a fiery rope.
- Fountain of Wine: Conjures wine.
- Gemino Curse (Geminio): Conjures a duplicate of the target object.
- Inanimatus Conjurus Spell: Possibly conjures an object.
- Incarcerous: Conjures ropes.
- Leek Jinx: Conjures leeks from the victim's ears.
- Orchideous: Conjures flowers.
- Sardine Hex: Conjures sardines from the victim's nose.
- Snake Summons Spell (Serpensortia): Summons a snake.
- Spider-Conjuring Spell: Summons a Spider.
- Water-Making Spell (Aguamenti): Conjures a jet of clear water, similar to Aqua Eructo.
- Appleby Arrows supporters
Behind the scenes
J.K. Rowling has said that items conjured from thin air tend not to last long.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- Harry Potter: The Creature Vault (mentioned only)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery (mentioned only)
Notes and references
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 26 (The Cave)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- ↑ http://www.accio-quote.org/articles/2000/0700-swns-alfie.htm