Sending, receiving, and storing information
A computer is a Muggle machine designed to interpret and carry out a string of operations inputted by the user, and is used to store and receive information, as well as for recreation (e.g. Internet, videogames etc) . The Dursleys owned a computer, which Dudley Dursley often played games on. It is possible that computers are a Muggle invention that cannot be fully duplicated with magic.
Behind the scenes
- In LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4, a computer can be found in the Muggle Studies Classroom at Hogwarts Castle. Hitting it with a spell causes a minifigure head to appear on the screen with a loading bar, followed by the computer crashing into a Blue Screen of Death. This process produces Dudley Dursley's character token.
- According to Harry Potter series author J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter would get beaten up if he went too near to Dudley's keyboard. As such, he never used the Internet.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 (First appearance)
- J. K. Rowling's Official Site (Mentioned only)