A computer is a Muggle machine designed to interpret and carry out a string of operations inputted by the user, and is used to store receive and send information, as well as for recreation (e.g. Internet, videogames etc.) . The Dursleys owned a computer, which Dudley Dursley often played games on. A photograph at 4 Privet Drive depicted Dudley playing a computer game with his father and on his eleventh birthday in 1991, he received a new computer to replace the old one, as well as sixteen new computer games. It is possible that computers are a Muggle invention that cannot be fully duplicated with magic.
Behind the scenes
- In LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4, a computer can be found in the Muggle Studies Classroom at Hogwarts Castle. Hitting it with a spell causes a minifigure head to appear on the screen with a loading bar, followed by the computer crashing into a Blue Screen of Death. This process produces Dudley Dursley's character token.
- According to Harry Potter series author J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter would get beaten up if he went too near to Dudley's keyboard. As such, he never used the Internet.
- Rowling stated in an interview that Mr Weasley would probably "give his left leg for a computer".
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 (First appearance)
- J. K. Rowling's Official Site (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- ↑ Computer on Wikipedia
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 3 (The Letters from No One)
- ↑ Question 13 on the second W.O.M.B.A.T.
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 28 (The Madness of Mr Crouch)
- ↑ Raincoast Books interview, available on Accio Quote!
- ↑ Harry Potter: A Blue Peter Special interview