The common cold is a disease caused by a variety of viruses which primarily affects the upper respiratory system. Common symptoyms include coughing, sore throat, sneezing, and a runny nose. Though considered incurable in the Muggle world, the Pepperup Potion, invented by Glover Hipworth in the late 18th century, is a wizarding cure for the disease. The Curse of the Bogies gives the target a nasty cold.
The yeti that was the subject of Gilderoy Lockhart's Year with a Yeti suffered from a head cold at some point during the wizard who Lockhart stole the information to write the book from's year of habitation with it. Harry Potter would be forced to portray this yeti during this time period for a reenactment in a Defence Against the Dark Arts class.
In October of 1993, an outbreak of colds struck Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, affecting both the staff and students. These colds were cured by Poppy Pomfrey using large quantities of Pepperup Potion. Among those who took potion was Ginerva Weasley, who was "bullied" into taking it by her brother Percy. However, her symptoms of paleness were due to possession by T. M. Riddle's Diary, not the common cold.
At the time of his arrival at Hogwarts on 30 October, 1994, Viktor Krum was suffering from a mild head cold. Because of this, his High Master Igor Karkaroff was insistent that he enter the castle as quickly as possible.
During a Quidditch match against Gryffindor, Hufflepuff Seeker Summerby had a cold, and therefore missed an opportunity to catch the Golden Snitch when he sneezed. The Snitch was ultimately caught by Ginny, though due to her brother's Ron's abysmal performance, Hufflepuff still won by ten points.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - Chapter 10 (The Rouge Bludger)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - Chapter 8 (The Deathday Party)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - Chapter 15 (Beauxbatons and Durmstrang)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - Chapter 26 (Seen and Unforseen)