- Harry: "But there aren't wild dragons in Britain?"
- Ron: "Of course there are. Common Welsh Green and Hebridean Blacks. The Ministry of Magic has a job hushing them up, I can tell you. Our lot have to keep putting spells on Muggles who've spotted them, to make them forget."
- — Harry Potter and Ronald Weasley[src]
This dragon is a relatively subdued breed (except for the rare exception of the Ilfracombe Incident). It prefers to prey mainly on sheep and other small mammals and to avoid human contact altogether. The Welsh Green's roar is rather distinctive and somewhat melodious and it issues its fire in narrow jets. The eggs of the Common Welsh Green are earthy brown, flecked with green.
Behind the scenes
- In LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4, the Welsh Green is the second dragon seen. It blocks your way by knocking it's tail towards the ground. You have to play music on a xylophone in the order that the dragon sings to make it fall asleep. A bird is watching this.
- In Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (video game) it is a Welsh Green that is used to guard the Lestrange Vault at Gringotts Wizarding Bank instead of an Ukrainian Ironbelly as specified in the film. Instead of metallic grey as the Ironbelly is, the Welsh Green has become pale because of no sunlight, as it is originally green.
- Unlike the other dragons from the First Task which are shown in the 'modern' wyvern design, the Common Welsh Green selected by Fleur is depicted in the classic dragon design with four legs and its wings sprouting from its back.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film) (Dragon model)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game) (Exploding Snap Famous Wizard Card)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (video game) (Non-canonical appearance)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (real)
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game (First appearance)
- Harry Potter: The Creature Vault (mentioned only)
Notes and references