- "Here comes Gilbert Wimple; he's with the Committee on Experimental Charms; he's had those horns for a while now..."
- —Arthur Weasley pointing out individuals to Harry and Hermione at the Quidditch World Cup[src]
The Committee on Experimental Charms is a committee within the Ministry of Magic founded by Balfour Blane who lived in the late 1500s to early 1600s. Gilbert Wimple was a member in the early 1990s (although it is not known how long he worked there).
The function of the Committee is to oversee the use and development of experimental charms. In 1992, the Committee had to deal with some extremely odd ferrets found in the possession of Mortlake. The Committee once made a study on the percentage of wizards and witches that believed that Atmospheric Charms should be regulated due to their effect upon the environment.
Behind the scenes
- Given that Pottermore revealed that the Ministry of Magic was formally established in 1707 (78 years after Balfour Blane's death), it follows that the Committee on Experimental Charms must predate the Ministry itself, possibly having started out as part of the Wizards' Council.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Mentioned only)
- J. K. Rowling's Official Site
Notes and references