- "Yeh don' know them gargoyles at the Committee fer the Disposal o' Dangerous Creatures! They've got it in fer interestin' creatures!"
- —Hagrid's opinion of the committee[src]
The Committee is responsible for the execution of any magical Creatures deemed to be a threat to the wizarding world. In 1722, the Committee sentenced a Hippogriff to death. The method of execution was described by Hermione Granger as "disgusting". In 1994, the Committee was ordered to execute the Hippogriff, Buckbeak, after the creature injured Draco Malfoy during a Care of Magical Creatures lesson at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.
In a Care of Magical Creatures lesson in September of 1993, the Hippogriff Buckbeak injured Draco Malfoy's arm slightly after having been insulted by the boy. The Hogwarts board of governors brought the incident to the Committee's attention, and Buckbeak and Hagrid were summoned to a hearing on 20 April, 1994.
Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, and Hermione Granger spent many hours in the Hogwarts Library researching past cases, in order to help Hagrid make a strong argument in Buckbeak's favour, but their efforts were ultimately in vain. Lucius Malfoy personally got involved in the case and frightened or bribed the Committee members into convicting Buckbeak; at the hearing, Lucius gave his testimony and the Committee immediately took his side.
After the hearing, the Committee set a date for Buckbeak's execution, even though legally there was still the possibility of another appeal. Albus Dumbledore attempted to intervene in Buckbeak's favour, but to no avail. On the appointed day, 6 June, 1994, Cornelius Fudge went to Hogwarts to act as a witness in Buckbeak's execution, along with an elderly Committee member and Walden Macnair, the executioner. Buckbeak predictably lost the appeal and was sentenced to beheading. When Macnair attempted to carry out the sentence, however, Buckbeak was nowhere to be found, having already been freed by Harry and Hermione, with the use of a Time-Turner.
- Walden Macnair: Death Eater. Worked for the Committee as an executioner.
- Elderly Committee member: Known to work for the Committee. Went with Walden Macnair to Buckbeak's execution, but seemed to be doing so against his wishes.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
Beast Division · Being Division · Centaur Liaison Office · Committee for the Disposal of Dangerous Creatures · Dragon Research and Restraint Bureau · Ghoul Task Force · Goblin Liaison Office · Office for House-Elf Relocation · Office of Misinformation · Pest Advisory Board · Potion stores · Spirit Division · Troll Patrol · Werewolf Capture Unit · Werewolf Registry · Werewolf Support Services