- "...he wished he had not mixed up the incantations for Colour Change and Growth Charms, so that the rat he was supposed to be turning orange swelled shockingly and was the size of a badger before Harry could rectify his mistake."
- —Harry mistakes the Growth Charm for this spell in his OWLs.[src]
The Colour Change Charm (incantation unknown) is a spell that causes an object or animal to change colours.
When Ron Weasley was eleven years old, his brothers Fred and George convinced him to believe that a nonsense poem was this particular charm. The incantation was supposed to turn Ron's rat Scabbers yellow, but being a fake incantation, it caused no change whatsoever.
During Harry Potter's Charms O.W.L. in 1996, he accidentally switched the incantations for this and the Growth Charm, so that instead of turning the rat orange it grew to the size of a badger before he could reverse his mistake.
Behind the scenes
- In LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4, a similar spell used, Multicorfors, changes the colour and style of the player's minifigure. That spell and this one may be similar, but due to the "-fors" ending in Multicorfors, they are probably different spells. However, Colovaria is a charm as well, and its incantation would make sense used to the effect of this spell.
- Harry Potter may have used this charm as a child to turn his teachers wig blue, when he unknowingly performed underage magic. However, as such was human transfiguration, and it is known that Multicorfors is used to change the colour and style of a human, it may have been that charm instead of this one that Harry used.
- It is possible that Harry may have accidentally used this charm on his eyebrow in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. However, it is more likely that this was Multicorfors, as it was performed in the class about transfiguration.
- It is possible that Albus Dumbledore uses this to change the house colours in the Great Hall at the End-of-Term Feast.
- Since Harry managed to confuse the Growth Charm with this one, it is probable that the two incantations are similar.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Notes and references
|Professors: Filius Flitwick|
|Textbooks: The Standard Book of Spells · Achievements in Charming · Quintessence: A Quest|
|Charmbook writers and charm developers: Miranda Goshawk · Scarpin · Felix Summerbee · Randolph Keitch · Basil Horton · Mnemone Radford · Elliot Smethwyck · Jarleth Hobart · Delfina Crimp · Orabella Nuttley · Levina Monkstanley · Fred Weasley · George Weasley|
|Charms studied at Hogwarts: Levitation Charm · Fire-Making Charm · Softening Charm · Skurge · Aresto Momentum · Cheering Charm · Freezing Spell · Seize and Pull Charm · Summoning Charm · Banishing Charm · Silencing Charm · Mending Charm · Reductor Curse · Colour Change Charm · Growth Charm · Water-Making Spell · Locomotion Charm · Vinegar into Wine · Bird-Conjuring Charm|