|Colour Change Charm|
Point wand at target
- Harry Potter used this charm to change the wig of his teacher at St. Grogory's Primary School a vivid blue colour.
- When Ron Weasley was eleven years old, his brothers Fred and George convinced him to believe that a nonsense poem was this particular charm. The incantation was supposed to turn Ron's rat Scabbers yellow, but being a fake incantation, it caused no change whatsoever.  It could also be because Scabbers was an an animagus, not an actual rat.
- Headmaster Albus Dumbledore used this charm to change the banners in the Great Hall at the End-of-Term Feast from the green and silver of Slytherin House to the crimson and gold of Gryffindor.
- During Harry Potter's Charms O.W.L. in 1996, he accidentally switched the incantations for this and the Growth Charm, so that instead of turning the rat orange it grew to the size of a badger before he could reverse his mistake. Harry Potter used this charm when he came of age to change the robes of the Chudley Cannons posters in Ron's bedroom to bright blue.
The incantation for this charm comes from the English words colour (the visual perceptual property corresponding in humans to the categories called red, blue, yellow, green and others) and vary (to make or cause changes in the characteristics or attributes of; modify or alter).
Behind the scenes
- As Harry Potter confused the Growth Charm with this spell, it is probable that the two incantations are similar.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
Notes and references
|Professors: Filius Flitwick|
|Textbooks: The Standard Book of Spells · Achievements in Charming · Quintessence: A Quest|
|Charmbook writers and charm developers: Miranda Goshawk · Scarpin · Felix Summerbee · Randolph Keitch · Basil Horton · Mnemone Radford · Elliot Smethwyck · Jarleth Hobart · Delfina Crimp · Orabella Nuttley · Levina Monkstanley · Fred Weasley · George Weasley|
|Charms studied at Hogwarts: Levitation Charm · Fire-Making Charm · Softening Charm · Skurge · Aresto Momentum · Cheering Charm · Freezing Spell · Seize and Pull Charm · Summoning Charm · Banishing Charm · Silencing Charm · Mending Charm · Reductor Curse · Colour Change Charm · Growth Charm · Water-Making Spell · Locomotion Charm · Vinegar into Wine · Bird-Conjuring Charm|