- "I'm — I'm Colin Creevey. I'm in Gryffindor, too. D'you think — would it be all right if — can I have a picture?... So I can prove I've met you. I know all about you. Everyone's told me. About how you survived when You-Know-Who tried to kill you, and how he disappeared and everything and how you've still got a lightning scar on your forehead... It's amazing here, isn't it? I never knew all the odd stuff I could do was magic till I got the letter from Hogwarts."
- —Colin introducing himself to Harry Potter[src]
Colin Creevey (1981 – 2 May, 1998) was a Muggle-born wizard, son of Mr Creevey and Mrs Creevey, and older brother of Dennis. He was a big fan of the famous Harry Potter, who was a year ahead of him in school.
During his first year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, he was sorted into Gryffindor House. He was known for taking several pictures of Harry and other students. During his fourth year, he and Dennis became members of Dumbledore's Army, an organisation taught and led by Harry Potter. Colin was expelled from Hogwarts in his sixth year, due to Voldemort's policy of not allowing Muggle-borns to attend the school. On 2 May, 1998, he snuck into the Room of Requirement with the rest of Dumbledore's Army and fought in the Battle of Hogwarts, during which he was murdered by Death Eaters.
Early life (1981-1992)
Colin Creevey grew up in an ordinary Muggle family. He was the son of a milkman and was amazed to find out he was a wizard who could attend Hogwarts. Colin was continually awestruck at everything to do with the wizarding world. Colin had a younger brother named Dennis, who was also a wizard, an unusual thing to occur for two magical offspring to come from Muggle parents.
Hogwarts years (1992-1997)
- Colin: "Wow! Can you turn him around, Harry?"
- Harry Potter: "No Colin! Get out of the way!"
- — Colin requesting Ron be poised for a picture after vomiting slugs[src]
Colin started attending Hogwarts in 1992. He was sorted into Gryffindor. He was very frequently seen in Hogwarts with a camera, worshipping the ground that Harry walked on. At one point, he asked for an autographed photo of Harry, prompting Draco Malfoy to tell everyone Harry was giving out signed photos. Colin responded by accusing Malfoy of being jealous. He was amazed that he could take moving pictures.
He got his photo with the celebrity Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher Gilderoy Lockhart. However, the photographic Harry had refused to appear on the photo, but Lockhart just about managed to drag him into view. When he went to Harry to have the photo signed, Harry was in a rush to get to Quidditch practise which prompted Colin to say he would go with him, as he had never watched a game before. Harry tried to stop him by claiming it was "boring" but Colin went along nevertheless.
As they walked to the pitch, Colin kept asking Harry questions about Quidditch. He asked Harry about flying, whether the Nimbus 2000 was Harry's broomstick, whether it was the best broom there was (in reality at the time it was the Nimbus 2001, but would later be replaced by the Firebolt) and finally, the rules of Quidditch which Harry resigned to explaining. Colin kept asking more questions the whole way, until Harry managed to shake him off at the changing rooms.
Colin sat in the stands taking pictures of the training session, asking Harry at one point to look at him while he took a photo. When Colin saw Ron protecting Hermione from Malfoy and self curse himself, he went up to them and upon seeing the state of Ron's condition, he eagerly and inappropriately asked Harry to turn him around.
After Mrs Norris was petrified, Colin tried to tell Harry what one of the boys in his class had been saying, but he got lost in the crowd before he say what was presumably, that Harry was the Heir of Slytherin. As Harry heard it many times before during the school year.
Colin later attended the Quidditch match between Gryffindor and Slytherin, where he clicked his camera non-stop. He inappropriately took photos of Harry, while he was lying injured in the mud even though Harry told him not to. When he saw Harry lose the bones in his broken arm thanks to Lockhart, began taking even more pictures excitedly.
Colin decided to sneak up to the Hospital Wing to give Harry grapes, but was petrified by Salazar Slytherin's Basilisk. Fortunately, he only looked at the snake's eye through the lens of his camera, which saved his life, although the film of his camera was destroyed. His body (along with Penelope Clearwater's) was seen in the Hospital Wing when Harry and Ron were visiting Hermione. He was later revived by a Mandrake Draught.
Colin's second year of education at Hogwarts was a quieter one than his first, Colin was probably shaken and was likely to be keeping his head down to avoid any trouble after the incident in his first year with the Basilisk. Colin was among the students that stayed behind at the castle as he was too young whilst the other students visited Hogsmeade. He stayed behind along with Harry Potter, who had not had his permission slip for Hogsmeade signed. In an effort to avoid Colin, Harry lied and said he needed to return a book to the library.
- "Harry, guess what? Guess what, Harry? My brother's starting! My brother Dennis!... He's really excited! I just hope he's in Gryffindor! Keep your fingers crossed, eh, Harry?"
- —Colin telling Harry that his brother is starting Hogwarts[src]
During the Sorting ceremony of 1994, Colin, in an overly excited manner, told Harry Potter to cross his fingers because Colin wanted his younger brother, Dennis, to be sorted into the Gryffindor House along with him. Dennis looked at Colin as he walked up to the chair, gave him two thumbs up and whispered that he had fallen from the boat on the way across the lake.
When Dennis told him something pulled him from the lake, Colin responded that it was probably the giant squid. Colin was delighted when Dennis was sorted into the same house.
Before the First Task of the Triwizard Tournament, he and his younger brother Dennis got hold of a stack of "Support Cedric Diggory!" badges and attempted to bewitch them to say "Support Harry Potter!" instead, all they managed to do was get them stuck on "POTTER STINKS", and later "POTTER REALLY STINKS". He was likely manipulated by Rita Skeeter to give info on Harry's love life, as he is quoted saying that Harry is hardly ever seen out of the company of Hermione, a quote with which Colin may have unintentionally started Rita's theory that Hermione is Harry's "girlfriend".
At the end of the year, Cedric Diggory was murdered on Lord Voldemort's orders by Peter Pettigrew and it was announced that Tom Riddle had returned. This would cause unsettlement for Colin and his brother Dennis as Voldemort loathed muggle-borns and with rumours of his rise to power upcoming it was likely to scare him.
- "Is it OK if I bring my camera? Oh wait, probably not we don't want photos of the secret meetings. I won't bring it then, great no problem, thanks again Harry I'll see you later, bye!"
- —Colin to Harry Potter regarding the D.A. meetings[src]
Colin's fourth year would be a year of rebellion amongst the students. The previous school year ended with the start of the Second Wizarding War after Lord Voldemort returned and murdered Cedric Diggory. However Harry Potter's claims that Voldemort had returned were slated as 'lies' and it wasn't officially announced to be true. Due to the events that took place in Colin's third year, in 1995, Dolores Umbridge was appointed as the eyes of the Ministry to watch over Hogwarts. However, Umbridge was far from what the students had in mind as 'watching over' them, she was a cruel and nasty teacher who refused to teach practical defensive spells to any students.
With students not being taught Defence Against the Dark Arts in a practical manner, Hermione Granger, Ron Weasley, and Harry Potter founded an alliance called the D.A., which would help students to learn how to defend themselves. Colin and his brother both attended the first meeting of the D.A. and both expressed shock in learning what Harry had done during his school years, especially defeating the Basilisk that petrified Colin. Colin and his brother Dennis both joined this alliance and were taught defensive magic by Harry; during their meetings he and his brother were regarded as being erratic, causing several books to fly off bookshelves during practise. After three meetings, he managed to master the Impediment Jinx.
Not a lot is known about what happened to Colin during his fifth year, however when Death Eaters entered Hogwarts and the Battle of the Astronomy Tower struck, Hermione Granger called all D.A. members via their coins for reinforcements and Colin was not one of the few members to actually show for battle. Whether he intentionally stayed out of battle or if it was because he no longer carried his coin is unknown. It is likely that Colin stayed for the funeral of Albus Dumbledore, showing his respects to the late headmaster as there was no mention of Colin attempting to take photographs during the procession like he normally would in a situation of some sort.
Pulled out of Education (1997-1998)
In 1997, Hogwarts was taken over by Severus Snape and Death Eaters. Due to Voldemort's policy of not allowing Muggle-borns to attend the school, Colin and his brother Dennis were unable to attend Hogwarts for their sixth year and fourth year of education respectively. It is also likely that the Creeveys went into hiding as there was a Muggle-Born Registration Commission running where any Muggle-born wizards or witches were to be put on trial regarding how they came to possess a wand.
Battle of Hogwarts and Death
- "Then Neville nearly walked into him. He was one half of a pair that was carrying a body in from the grounds. Harry glanced down, and felt another dull blow to his stomach: Colin Creevey, though underage, must have sneaked back just as Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle had done. He was tiny in death."
- —Oliver Wood carrying Colin's dead body into the Great Hall[src]
Even though his blood status prevented him from being taught at Hogwarts, Colin returned when he was called, along with other members of Dumbledore's Army. Minerva McGonagall dismissed him from the castle for being underage, however Colin must have returned and participated in the Battle of Hogwarts.
He fought during the first half of the battle and likely did so outside the castle, as his body was recovered outside the Great Hall by Neville Longbottom and Oliver Wood. He was placed in the Great Hall alongside the others that had fallen in the battle. Colin's sacrifice was not in vain, as the other defenders of Hogwarts defeated all Death Eaters present. Lord Voldemort also met his death at the hands of Harry Potter once and for all, thus ending the Second Wizarding War.
Colin was described as being much shorter than Harry Potter. He had mousy brown hair and brown eyes.
Personality and traits
Colin was a person who was very easily excited. When he first came into Hogwarts, he was excited about everything. He was also a fan of some wizarding "celebrities", such as Harry Potter and Gilderoy Lockhart. It's possible he had a bit of hero worship for Harry, as he was constantly in awe of anything Harry said or did in their first year together. The night he was attacked by the basilisk he was presumed to be trying to sneak into the hospital wing to visit Harry. During the Triwizard Tournament he and his brother tried to bewitch a number of "Potter Stinks" badges to support Harry, which backfired as they only made the badges say "Potter Really Stinks". This hero worship may have reached its peak when he returned to Hogwarts despite not being a student anymore to help defend it against the forces of Lord Voldemort.
He always took pictures in his first year, which could lead to him being often annoying. This was partly due to him taking pictures at inopportune moments, such as when Ron was belching slugs and Harry lost the bones in his arm. It was due to this behaviour that some assumed he had been chosen for an attack by the monster in the Chamber of Secrets.
Colin was also brave, as he fought at the Battle of Hogwarts against Lord Voldemort and his Death Eaters, even he was outright not allowed by Professor McGonagall, which he defied by sneaking back in, and was killed during the battle.
Magical abilities and skills
- Defence Against the Dark Arts: Colin had at least some skill in Defence Against the Dark Arts. He mastered both the Impediment Jinx and the Full Body-Bind Curse while in the D.A., but had trouble disarming.
- Photography: Colin was considered a skilled photographer. Despite coming from a Muggle family, he quickly adapted to the wizarding method of producing photographs, creating moving photos in his first year.
- Wand: Colin most likely bought his wand at Ollivander's before beginning his magical education at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.
- Colin Creevey's camera: He uses this camera during his first year at Hogwarts. He liked to take pictures of Harry Potter.
Colin possibly had a good relationship with his family. His father was a milkman. Colin stated that his parents were very excited that their son was a wizard, and Colin wanted to take some photos of Hogwarts, in order to show to his father. Colin was also very close with his brother, Dennis, and was also excited when Dennis came to Hogwarts, too, and was sorted into Gryffindor house. When Colin was killed during the Battle of Hogwarts, his family was devastated.
Colin was a big fan of Harry Potter, a very famous student. Colin thought Harry was a kind of celebrity, but Harry didn't like that. Harry found Colin extremely annoying, as when he attempted to take a photo of Ron Weasley, who was throwing up slugs. Although he and Harry weren't so close, Colin thought that he was Harry's best friend.
During his first year at Hogwarts, he took many pictures of Harry. During his third year, he and Dennis attempted to make "Support Harry Potter" badges for the Triwizard Tournament. In his fourth year, he and his brother fully believed that Harry did not lie about Voldemort's return. The Creeveys even became members of Dumbledore's Army (an organisation founded by Harry) something that Harry may have appriciated. When he died for Harry's cause, Harry was very saddened when he saw Colin's dead body outside Hogwarts. This implies that Harry grew to care for Colin despite his initial annoyance of him during their time as members of D.A.
Colin became a member of Dumbledore's Army during his fourth year. It was an organisation founded and led by Harry Potter, in order to teach the students Defence Against the Dark Arts and oppose Dolores Umbridge. Colin had a good relationship with the most of them, including Ron Weasley, Hermione Granger, and Ginny Weasley, who was also in his year.
Other members of the army were Fred and George Weasley, Neville Longbottom, Lee Jordan, Angelina Johnson, Katie Bell and Alicia Spinnet from Gryffindor, Ernie Macmillan, Susan Bones, Hannah Abbott, Justin Finch-Fletchley and Zacharias Smith from Hufflepuff, and Terry Boot, Anthony Goldstein, Michael Corner, Luna Lovegood, Cho Chang and Marietta Edgecombe from Ravenclaw. All of them (except Zacharias and Marietta) fought at the Battle of Hogwarts. Colin's death during the battle was yet another loss that day that Harry felt keenly. Neville helped Oliver Wood carry Colin's body inside the Great Hall.
- Colin is an anglicised form of the Gaelic name Cailean or Coileain, meaning "whelp," "pup" or "young cub". It can also be derived from the name Nicholas, meaning "victorious people."
- Creevey is an English surname of Celtic origin, and is a contraction of MacCreevey, meaning "son of Reevey."
- It could also be a surname of Irish origin with variant spellings Creevy and Creavagh, is an Anglicised form of the Gaelic "O'Craoibhe" meaning "descendant of Craobhach", a byname meaning "curly (-headed)" or "prolific" (from "craobh" meaning "branch, bough").
Behind the scenes
- Hugh Mitchell played Colin in the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. He also voiced and provided the likeness for the character in the video game adaptation of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.
- Hugh Mitchell did not reprise his role in the later films. An added character, Nigel Wolpert, served as a replacement for him in the later films. Hugh has said that he is satisfied that Colin died fighting in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, and that he is indifferent to the Nigel character.
- In the cutscene in which Colin is revealed to have been petrified by Slytherin's Monster, in the PS1 version of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, he is wearing Ravenclaw robes. This is odd considering that in gameplay mode he is depicted as a Gryffindor.
- Pottermore shows a full moon when Professor Albus Dumbledore visits Colin in the Hospital Wing after the Basilisk's attack. In 1992, however, the full moon happened on November 10, two days after Colin was petrified.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (Not in home console or PC versions)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) (Name appears on parchment)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game
Notes and references
- ↑ Based on the fact that he started attending Hogwarts in 1992 and wasn't of age yet during the Battle of Hogwarts on 2nd May 1998.
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Chapter 10 (The Rogue Bludger) - "It was Colin Creevey. His eyes were wide and his hands were stuck up in front of him, holding his camera." The Basilisk only attacked muggle-borns.
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Chapter 7 (Mudbloods And Murmurs) - "Looking up, he saw the very small, mousy-haired boy he’d seen trying on the Sorting Hat last night staring at Harry as though transfixed."
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Chapter 7 (Mudbloods And Murmurs) - "He was clutching what looked like an ordinary Muggle camera, and the moment Harry looked at him, he went bright red."
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Chapter 6 (Gilderoy Lockhart)
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Chapter 7 (Mudbloods And Murmurs)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Chapter 9 (The Writing on the Wall)
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Chapter 10 (The Rogue Bludger)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Chapter 17 (The Heir of Slytherin)
- ↑ http://www.behindthename.com/name/colin-1
- ↑ http://www.searchforancestors.com/surnames/origin/c/creevy.php
- ↑ http://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Creevy#ixzz3Ng32Pjd0
- ↑ http://www.snitchseeker.com/harry-potter-news/video-harry-potter-actors-in-supercon-panel-discussion-update-3-a-56744/