- "The chilly mist [...] drifted over a dirty river that wound between overgrown, rubbish-strewn banks. An immense chimney, relic of a disused mil, reared up, shadowy and ominous. There was no sounds apart from the whisper of the black water and no sign of life apart from a scrawny fox that had slunk down the bank to nose hopefully at some old fish-and-chip wrappings in the tall grass."
- —Description of the neighborhood in which Spinner's End is a street of.[src]
Cokeworth is a large town located in England, Great Britain. It is a town with several streets of identical brick, terraced, houses. It is located near a dirty river, the bank of which is strewn with litter. There is a disused mill with a tall chimney in this town. Severus Snape lived in this town, on a street called Spinner's End. Lily Potter and Petunia Dursley lived in walking distance from Spinner's End during their childhood, with their mother and father.
The Railview Hotel, where Harry Potter and the Dursleys stayed while attempting to outrun Harry's letters from Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry in 1991, is located on the outskirts of this city.
Behind the scenes
- The name is an obvious reference to "Coketown", the fictional industrial centre in which Charles Dickens's novel Hard Times takes place.
- On the original script for the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, this town is referred to as "Mill Town".
- At the press conference for the unveiling of Pottermore, a preview of the website showed new information about the Dursleys from J.K. Rowling. According to the preview, the Evans lived in Cokeworth, making this the city where Spinner's End was located.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Appears in flashback(s))
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - Chapter 2 (Spinner's End)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Chapter 33 (The Prince's Tale)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Identified in a YouTube video of the Pottermore press conference on June 23, 2011
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - Chapter 3 (Letters From No One)
- ↑ Identified on the Half-Blood Prince script released on the Warner Bros. Awards website