|"I show not your face but your heart's desire."|
A cockroach is an insect and a potion ingredient.
In 1993, during the Defence Against the Dark Arts class that covered boggarts, Remus Lupin changed the boggart into a cockroach just before taking the form of Severus Snape when Neville Longbottom stepped in to finish it off.
When Severus Snape was Potions Master at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, he kept a jar of these insects (deceased) in his office. In 1996, after Snape caught Harry Potter looking at his private memories through the Pensieve, he kicked Harry out of his office and threw the jar of cockroaches, which smashed just over Harry's head.
Cockroaches were some of the packages that fell and broke on the Knight Bus when Harry Potter, Ronald Weasley, Hermione Granger, Ginevra Weasley, Fred Weasley, and George Weasley are escorted back to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry by Remus Lupin and Nymphadora Tonks.
Cockroaches may be an ingredient in Cockroach Clusters.
Behind the scenes
- In the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Hermione Granger calls Draco Malfoy a "foul loathsome and evil little cockroach" when he makes jokes about the impending execution of Buckbeak, and then punches him across the face.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film)
Notes and references
- ↑ Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay, Scene 91
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Chapter 7 (The Boggart in the Wardrobe)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 28 (Snape's Worst Memory)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 24 (Occlumency)