Point wand at target
- Riddle: "Stand aside, Hagrid!"
- Hagrid: "No!"
- Riddle: "Cistem aperio!"
- — Riddle's use of the spell[src]
Cistem Aperio is the incantation for a charm that is used to open chests. Being more specific that Alohamora may increase its potency against a warded target of the appropriate kind. It may be related to Annihilare, Dunamis, Emancipare, and Liberare.
- Tom Riddle used this spell to blast open the chest in which Aragog, the pet-acromantula of Rubeus Hagrid, lived in during its time at Hogwarts Castle.
Aperio is Latin for open, uncover, to uncover, lay bare, reveal, or make clear, the source of the English "appear". Cistem is Latin for chest, in the object form.
Behind the scenes
- This spell does not appear in the books.
- Severus Snape may have used this spell to open Alastor Moody's trunk in the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.