Christopher Joseph Columbus (born 10 September, 1958 in Spangler, Pennsylvania) is an American filmmaker. He directed the first two Harry Potter films and produced the third one, which was directed by Alfonso Cuarón. His work outside of Harry Potter includes Home Alone, Mrs. Doubtfire and the film version of the Broadway musical Rent.
His wife Monica made a small appearance in Home Alone as the red-headed flight attendant, and in Home Alone 2 as the Plaza telephone operator. Columbus lives in San Francisco's Pacific Heights, where his children attend or previously attended Saint Ignatius College Preparatory. He donated money to the school for a new building, which was named after him.
|Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief||✓||✓||2010|
|I Love You, Beth Cooper||✓||✓||2009|
|Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian||✓||2009|
|Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer||✓||2007|
|Night at the Museum||✓||2006|
|Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban||✓||2004|
|Christmas with the Kranks||✓||✓||2004|
|Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets||✓||✓||2002|
|Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone||✓||✓||2001|
|Home Alone 2: Lost in New York||✓||1992|
|Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland||✓||1992|
|Only the Lonely||✓||✓||1991|
|Adventures in Babysitting||✓||1987|
|Young Sherlock Holmes||✓||1985|
Behind the scenes
- Chris Columbus' production company is named 1492 Productions, which is intended as a play on Columbus' more famous namesake, Christopher Columbus.
- His daughter, Eleanor, has a cameo in both the first two Harry Potter films, playing the witch Susan Bones.
- The rest of his children, Isabella, Violet and Brendan Columbus, appeared in unnamed cameo roles in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.
- Chris Columbus at IMDB
- BBC Movies article about Chris Columbus
- Chris Columbus biography from The New York Times
- Elementary, My Dear Potter - Young Sherlock Holmes / Harry Potter article