|"Are you a wizard or not?"
The title of this article is conjectural. Although it is based on canonical information, the actual name is conjecture and may be supplanted at any time by additional information released from canonical sources. If this occurs, please move this page to the appropriate title.
Ministry of Magic employee
Madam Chang (b. 7 September, year unknown) was a witch , employee of the British Ministry of Magic and the mother of Cho Chang. Her birthday was 7 September. Cho remembered this fact at the last minute in 1995 and rushed to the Owlery at Hogwarts to send her mother a gift.
Madam Chang, like her husband, wanted her daughter to not get on Dolores Umbridge's bad side in her sixth year. However, Cho went against their wishes and joined Dumbledore's Army. Umbridge later threatened to fire Madam Chang because of her daughter's involvement in the DA.
Behind the scenes
- In the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Hermione Granger mentions that Dolores Umbridge is threatening to fire Cho's mother from her job at the Ministry of Magic, presumably because of Cho's involvement in Dumbledore's Army. This addition to the plot was likely made because Marietta Edgecombe and her mother, a known Ministry employee, were cut from the script.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game) (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- ↑ In Ch. 4 of Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince, Horace Slughorn states that family members are often Sorted into the same House. This may indicate that Cho's mom was Sorted into Ravenclaw, as her daughter cho was. However, there are exceptions.
- ↑ In the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Cho's mother is stated to be a Ministry of Magic employee.
- ↑ Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 14