- "...a red one with an odd fringe of fine gold spikes around its face, which was shooting mushroom-shaped fire clouds into the air..."
- —Description of a Chinese Fireball[src]
A Chinese Fireball was used as one of the obstacles in the First Task of the Triwizard Tournament in 1994, brought to Hogwarts by Charles Weasley. Viktor Krum faced the dragon in an attempt to retrieve a Golden egg it was guarding, and used a Conjunctivitis Curse to temporarily blind the dragon, but it crushed its own eggs and because of that points were taken off.
The Fireball is scarlet and smooth scaled with a fringe of golden spikes around its snub-snouted face and extremely protuberant eyes. They weigh between two and four tons.
Its name is derived from the mushroom-shaped flame that comes from its nostrils when angered, along with the large mushroom-shaped flame it shoots from its mouth.
The Fireball is aggressive but, unlike other dragons, it is more tolerant of its own kind, and will sometimes consent to share its territory with up to two other dragons.
They are also mentioned to be very fast and clever, at least for a dragon.
The Chinese Fireball breed of dragons generally yield females that are larger than males. The eggs of the Fireball are vivid crimson speckled with gold, and the shells are prized for use in Chinese wizardry.
Its diet consists of most mammals, usually preferring pigs and humans.
Behind the scenes
- According to Chinese mythology, dragons do not commonly breathe fire. The only dragons in Chinese myth to breathe fire are ones sent from Heaven as punishment and divine retribution. Almost all notable Chinese dragons are benevolent, sending rain in times of need.
- In LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4, the Chinese Fireball is the first dragon to be seen. It will block the player's progress with a steady stream of flame, and its egg must be hatched so that it will become distracted with the hatchling.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- Harry Potter: The Creature Vault
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
|Magical Creatures by classification|
|X||Flobberworm · Horklump|
|XX||Augurey · Bowtruckle · Chizpurfle · Clabbert · Diricawl · Fairy · Ghoul · Gnome · Grindylow · Imp · Jobberknoll · Mooncalf · Porlock · Puffskein · Ramora · Winged horse|
|XXX||Ashwinder · Billywig · Bundimun · Crup · Doxy · Dugbog · Fire crab · Fwooper · Glumbumble · Hippocampus · Hippogriff · Hodag · Jarvey · Knarl · Kneazle · Leprechaun · Lobalug · Mackled Malaclaw · Moke · Murtlap · Niffler · Nogtail · Pixie · Plimpy · Pogrebin · Red Cap · Salamander · Sea serpent · Shrake · Streeler · Winged horse|
|XXXX||Centaur · Demiguise · Erkling · Erumpent · Golden Snidget · Graphorn · Griffin · Hidebehind · Kappa · Kelpie · Merpeople · Occamy · Phoenix · Re'em · Runespoor · Snallygaster · Sphinx · Tebo · Thestral · Thunderbird · Troll · Unicorn · Winged horse · Yeti|
|XXXXX||Acromantula · Basilisk · Chimaera · Dragon · Horned Serpent · Lethifold · Manticore · Nundu · Quintaped · Wampus cat · Werewolf|