Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Fantastic Beasts: Cases from the Wizarding World. Spoilers will be present within the article.
A Chimaera is a type of hybrid animal and a violent magical creature native to Greece.
In 1995, Rubeus Hagrid stated to Hermione Granger that it was difficult to get a Chimaera egg, causing Hermione to speculate that he had tried to get one, and wanted to use it as part of a lesson, while Hermione advises Hagrid better not to bring dangerous beasts to teach to the Hogwarts students, due to Dolores Umbridge's inspection.
Behind the scenes
- In classical Greek mythology the Chimaera was the daughter of Typhon and Echidna, her siblings included the Neamean Lion and the Lernean Hydra. The Chimaera was hunted and slain by the hero Bellerophon, son of Ποσειδν (Poseidon), with the aid of his winged steed Pegasus. The statement in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them that the only known killing of a Chimaera resulted in the wizard falling off his winged horse is a direct homage to this tale, as Bellerophon was said to have fallen from Pegasus' back after the battle.
- A chimaera is literally a "hodge-podge" of several creatures. They are usually described as having three heads (a lion, a goat, and a dragon or bird) on the front of a bull-like body which has the wings of a large bird, and the tail is a snake, which makes a fourth "head".
- While the classical Chimaera is part lion, goat, and dragon, a true Chimaera is simply any two or more of anything including humans which leads to the medical diagnosis known as "Chimaerism" which happens after two or more foetuses merge in the womb.
- In some accounts Chimaeras can breathe fire.
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (First appearance)
- Quidditch Through the Ages (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game
- Fantastic Beasts: Cases from the Wizarding World
- Chimaera on Wikipedia