At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film). As such, spoilers will be present within the article.
At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Fantastic Beasts: Cases from the Wizarding World. Spoilers will be present within the article.
At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
A Chimaera is a type of hybrid animal and a violent magical creature native to Greece.
There is only one recorded instance of a wizard killing a Chimaera, although the victor died from the exhaustion after killing it.
In the 1987–1988 school year in Hogwarts, Professor Silvanus Kettleburn repeatedly said that a Chimaera had escaped and was roaming the castle unleashed. The Chimaera was still loose at the beginning of the following year.
In 1995, Rubeus Hagrid stated to Hermione Granger that it was difficult to get a Chimaera egg, causing Hermione to speculate that he had tried to get one, and wanted to use it as part of a lesson, while Hermione advises Hagrid better not to bring dangerous beasts to teach to the Hogwarts students, due to Dolores Umbridge's inspection.
Behind the scenes
- In classical Greek mythology the Chimaera was the daughter of Typhon and Echidna, her siblings included the Neamean Lion and the Lernean Hydra. The Chimaera was hunted and slain by the hero Bellerophon, son of Poseidon, with the aid of his winged steed Pegasus. The statement in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them that the only known killing of a Chimaera resulted in the wizard falling off his winged horse is a direct homage to this tale, as Bellerophon was said to have fallen from Pegasus' back although that happened a long time later when Zeus sent a gadfly after him.
- A chimaera is literally a "hodge-podge" of several creatures. They are usually described as having three heads in Greek mythology: a lion's head on its front, a goat's head emerging from the back of the lion's head, and a tail tipped with a serpent's head. In the original myth, it was said to have breathed fire (some sources say all three heads did so, while others say only the goat did).
- In more recent fantasy settings, such as the role-playing game Dungeons & Dragons, the third (or fourth, if the snake tail is counted) head of a dragon and draconic wings are often added as well.
- While the classical Chimaera is part lion, goat, and dragon, a true Chimaera is simply any two or more of anything including humans which leads to the medical diagnosis known as "Chimaerism" which happens when multiple genetic patterns merge in a single organism (often due to two or more fertilised eggs combining into a single embryo).
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (First appearance)
- Quidditch Through the Ages (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film) (Cut from the film)
- Fantastic Beasts: Cases from the Wizarding World
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
|Magical Creatures by classification|
|X||Flobberworm · Horklump|
|XX||Augurey · Bowtruckle · Chizpurfle · Clabbert · Diricawl · Fairy · Ghoul · Gnome · Grindylow · Imp · Jobberknoll · Mooncalf · Porlock · Puffskein · Ramora · Winged horse|
|XXX||Ashwinder · Billywig · Bundimun · Crup · Doxy · Dugbog · Fire crab · Fwooper · Glumbumble · Hippocampus · Hippogriff · Hodag · Jarvey · Knarl · Kneazle · Leprechaun · Lobalug · Mackled Malaclaw · Moke · Murtlap · Niffler · Nogtail · Pixie · Plimpy · Pogrebin · Red Cap · Salamander · Sea serpent · Shrake · Streeler · Winged horse|
|XXXX||Centaur · Demiguise · Erkling · Erumpent · Golden Snidget · Graphorn · Griffin · Hidebehind · Kappa · Kelpie · Merpeople · Occamy · Phoenix · Re'em · Runespoor · Snallygaster · Sphinx · Tebo · Thestral · Thunderbird · Troll · Unicorn · Winged horse · Yeti|
|XXXXX||Acromantula · Basilisk · Chimaera · Dragon · Horned Serpent · Lethifold · Manticore · Nundu · Quintaped · Wampus cat · Werewolf|