Chemistry is the science concerned with the study of the composition, structure and properties of matter, with a particular emphasis on its chemical reactions and bonds. The wizarding equivalent of chemistry is the art of Potion-making.
Severus Snape mentioned it in his introduction to Harry Potter's first class in 1991. Chemistry involves the mixture of chemicals and certain processes to get the desired end product. Severus Snape was known to like chemistry, and in his childhood he used to play with his chemistry set, according to Sirius Black.
Behind the scenes
- J. K. Rowling has said in interviews that chemistry was her least favourite class in school.
- In the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Sirius Black mocked Snape, by saying that he should run off and play with his chemistry set.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film) (Mentioned only)
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)