Some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, and, as such, spoilers will be present.
Chaser is a position in the wizarding sport of Quidditch. There are three Chasers per team. The Chasers control the Quaffle and attempt to get it through the goal hoops past the Keeper. Each goal is worth ten points. This makes them similar to the forwards in football, as the game is generally started with the Referee releasing the Quaffle into the air for the Chasers to try and claim possession of.
History of the Chaser
The Chaser is the oldest position in the game of Quidditch, as the purpose of the game once consisted solely of scoring goals. They were formerly known as Catchers in the early days of the game. The one major change to the role of the Chaser was in 1884, when the rules were changed that allowed only one Chaser into the scoring area while trying to score a goal. This was done in an effort to stop Stooging during a game.
Chasers are generally considered the most exhilarating to watch by spectators during a Quidditch game, at least until the Golden Snitch has been spotted. Chasers are typically swift and agile flyers (second only to the Seeker), making females ideal for the position.
Behind the scenes
- In the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Harry's dad, James Potter, was said to have been a Seeker. However, J. K. Rowling has stated that James was a Chaser.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (play)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Building the Magical World
- Harry Potter: Quidditch World Cup
- Quidditch Through the Ages
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game
- LEGO Harry Potter
- Harry Potter: The Character Vault
Notes and references
|Officials: Quidditch referee|
|Player positions: Beater • Chaser • Keeper • Seeker|
|Playing equipment: Beater's bat • Bludger • Broomstick • Golden Snitch • Quaffle|