Charlus Potter was a wizard and a member of the Potter family. He married Dorea Black and together had a son. Since Dorea was not disowned by her family (who believed strongly in the importance of blood purity), it can be assumed that Charlus was a respectable pure-blood wizard.
Behind the scenes
- There is some speculation that Charlus Potter was the father of James Potter and the paternal grandfather of Harry Potter, given that J. K. Rowling has said that James's parents were older when they had him, and Dorea Potter would have been forty years old when he was born. However, Rowling also said that James's parents died of natural causes when they were elderly, presumably around the same time. Dorea died at the age of fifty-seven, which is not elderly in wizarding terms. This may be a mathematical error, as Rowling has also admitted that math is not her strong suit and inconsistencies have been noted in the timeline.
- Another possibility is that Charlus was an uncle or a distant cousin of James. If so, then this leaves us with the mystery of what happened to the son of Charlus and Dorea. Since Harry was not supposed to have any living family other than the Dursley family, we could assume that Charlus, Dorea, and their son must have died before 1981.
- It is also possible that Charlus Potter may have been a member of Gryffindor house, like the rest of the Potter family.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) (Appears on Black family tree tapestry)
Notes and references
- ↑ Since Dorea was not disowned by her family (who believed strongly in the importance of blood purity), it can be assumed that Charlus was a respectable pure-blood wizard.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Black Family tree
- ↑ Leaky Cauldron: 30 July 2007 Webchat with J.K. Rowling
- ↑ 16 July 2005 Leaky Cauldron and MuggleNet Interview
- ↑ F.A.Q. at J.K. Rowling's Official Site